Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

my driver sounds like a baby rattle

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

jfurr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: my driver sounds like a baby rattle

I'm happy with my driver - it's a Cleveland hibore XL 10.5 degree with the Gold stiff flex stock shaft. Earlier this year, I hit a drive and something appeared to break loose inside the head. Sounds like a couple loose objects inside.

I thought I had ruined it, so took the opportunity to "upgrade" and try something I had my eye on - the newer HiBore XLS in 9.5 degree with the Red version of the stiff flex shaft. After a few months of trying to adjust to the new club, it just wasn't working. Ball flight definitely lower and longer, more roll, but felt terrible and hitting all over the place, just not feeling right.

So last week I sold the XLS on craigslist and put the XL back in the bag, it still feels great and I'm hitting fairways again.

The problem is it has this rattle sound inside the head. Sometimes the sound will go away for a few holes or a whole round, where I guess the debris gets stuck somewhere in one of the corners of the HiBore's unusual head shape cavity.

Most people say it's epoxy from the shaft joint which has come loose. I had one person suggest there is an internal weight which has come loose. And one person said something about foam coming loose in the head. Never heard about foam in a driver head.

The club is from 2007 I think, I am second owner. Therefore I would think there is no warranty I could pursue. I wish the regional Cleveland rep would be around at a local demo day soon so I could ask him about it.

Anyone had something like this happen, any suggestions?

thanks,
John

SingleDigits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject:

I had that same problem after the first swing with my Cobra F Speed driver. I took it back to Dicks and they gave me a new one.

As you mentioned, they said it was some excess epoxy when they glue the shaft to the head. It breaks loose as soon as you hit the club.

It might be possible to fix it by removing the shaft. Maybe the loose pieces will be small enough come out.

ATEglauer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject:

I've had this happen on my 1W and 3W from my set of knock-offs. I can't recall when it happened, but it was several years after I had them when it started. First, it was the 1W and I generally didn't notice much difference in playability of the club. Then the 3W started to rattle and I had noticed the driver being inconsistent (well, it's hard for me to tell consistency, since my swing is not!). Sometimes, the strike on the ball just did not feel right and usually, the ball would slice. Other times, the impact was "normal" and the ball flight tended to be straighter (and longer). I finally gave that club to a friend and bought a Nike 410 (that tells you how many years ago this happened!).

I still used the 3W, but it too started to be wildly inconsistent - mostly with distance than ball flight. My hits were between just over 200 yards (the majority of them) to upwards of 270 yards, but seldom over 220 yards. My 3W was "normally" 240 yards or so. Eventually, I purchased a cheap Alien Golf 3W (about 2.5 years ago) and my distance is back to about 240 yds or so. I still have the old 3W, but it is just too inconsistent or I'm not confident enough with it to keep it in play. It's sitting in the corner of my basement.

Armand
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Your bag All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: