Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Unfriendly to singles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have an issue with single golfers?
Yes
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No
97%
 97%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 78

Author

bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Some courses might frown on your hitting multiple shots. Assuming the course does not object, I do not think there is any accepted standard for whether hitting multiple shots during a practice round is okay or not okay.

Personally, if you religously repair all divot holes and pitch marks AND no one is behind you, hitting several shots would be okay with me. If you are playing with one or more other players, it is polite to ask or tell everyone that you would like to play another shot for practice. I would not suggest you do that too often as most people do not really want to stand around watching someone hit practice shots. If anyone is behind you then absolutely never take a practice shot. For me, waiting for someone ahead of me while they practice is really irritating.
dmcadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies; I'll ask at the clubhouse about multiple balls, next time. I always try to leave things the way I found them or better (life in general, not just golf Wink ) and do my best not to inconvenience anyone else when I play.

birdieXris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject:

merlin3driver wrote:
I absolutely hate to play alone. When I'm on a trip and go to an unfamiliar course, I'll wait around until someone shows up. There'll almost always be someone else looking for a game.

Merlin, you should jump in on my calendar Smile

To answer the question though, i don't mind being, or being around a single golfer as long as they're observing the rules and being mindful of the rest of the players on the course.

A few people have mentioned the "pusher" single. Really... where are you going to go? I don't like them and i try never to be them. Sometimes too if i know that i'm going to catch the group in front of me and there's going to be nowhere to go, i'll play another ball (if nobody's waiting on me). It helps to kind of ease that situation that "the single is pushing us" and relays that i'm really not in a hurry so take your time and play right.

I dont' think it's bad manners to play a practice ball either, but like was said - if there's people behind you definitely don't do it. If you hit 2 off the tee because nobody was there, but they catch up when you reach the fairway, definitely pick one up and don't play them both in.

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I can be unfriendly to just about anyone, it really depends on the day and the person. But I will admit to exercising prejudice against singles who try to butt into your group midway through the round, somewhere in the middle of the course. It's one thing to be a single caught in between groups by no fault of your own and you eventually run into the group ahead... but when I see that lone guy a few holes behind us, obviously scrambling so he can catch up and invite himself into someone's group, I get pissed. I seem to be able to spot this guy from 400 yards away. It's like grade school all over again. The dweeby kid that nobody likes thats always tagging along and butting in. HEY GUYS WAIT UP FOR ME.

terpsno1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject:

Wow Beef - You sure sound like a Joy to play golf with - Let the single go through if you don't want him to join you - No need for Hatin' on someone you don't even know.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject:

lol...you know, I'm actually in partial agreement with the beefmeister. I will routinely ask a group if I can join up as a single before the round starts, but once the round gets going, I assume it is up to the group in front of me to ask if I would like to join them.
DougE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject:

legitimatebeef wrote:
I can be unfriendly to just about anyone, it really depends on the day and the person. But I will admit to exercising prejudice against singles who try to butt into your group midway through the round, somewhere in the middle of the course. It's one thing to be a single caught in between groups by no fault of your own and you eventually run into the group ahead... but when I see that lone guy a few holes behind us, obviously scrambling so he can catch up and invite himself into someone's group, I get pissed. I seem to be able to spot this guy from 400 yards away. It's like grade school all over again. The dweeby kid that nobody likes thats always tagging along and butting in. HEY GUYS WAIT UP FOR ME.

Due to the fact that I play very often late in the afternoon, I play as a single a lot. I completely enjoy playing solo. It gives me lots of time to work on my game. The course is usually very quiet with no one behind me. Being a single, though, I can easily catch up with a twosome or threesome (or foursome) who were a few holes in front of me. As soon as I see that potential, I slow down and usually play a few practice balls so I don't catch up to them, or even pressure them in any way. I hate to be pressured when I play and I definitely do not want to pressure anyone else. Nor, do I want to necessarily join up with them or play through (unless they are moving extremely slowly). Once I've gone off as a single, I tend to get into a mindset that puts me deep into my game. So, catching up and having to be somewhat social by joining up with guys I don't know isn't always a sought after scenario for me. Especially considering the thought that they may feel like Legitimatebeef feels about a single trying to catch up and "butt" in. I'd rather keep my distance. Who knows if the group ahead will be friendly. Obviously, some members of the group may not be as legitimatebeef admits himself. As I said I typically enjoy myself playing solo. Why ruin a good thing by catching up with someone who may not be so enjoyable?

birdieXris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject:

legitimatebeef wrote:

Normally i let those guys go ahead of me. even as a single i've let other singles through if they're playing fast. I'm not always a joiner, but that guy does miff me a bit too, as do the guys that play fast just to "get the round in before dark/dinner/etc". I mean, you just paid money to get on the course and now you're picking up balls and rushing through, screwing up everyone else's time. What's the deal?

mjaber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject:

If I go off the 1st tee alone, and get through 3 or 4 holes, I'd rather complete the round as a single. I have joined other groups mid-round and it's just awkward. There is no feel for how serious they are about the game. Do they have a temper? Can I joke around with them? Usually you can get a guage for that stuff when you are waiting to tee off the first hole. After that, once they are into their round, you don't know how they have been playing, and you can't really get that same guage.

H Head

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I go out as a single occasionally, and can relate to all that was posted here.

Can you relate to this ? I walked on as a single in the afternoon...the course was relatively empty. There was a single hanging around the starting shed. The starter said I would be playing with "Joe". He introduced himself and seemed like a nice guy, about mid 40's. Now, being that I have played this game about 5 decades, my choice of tees is between 5800-6200 yards. My lack of distance due to age, and physical limitations now, makes playing it from any longer just not enjoyable. So Joe goes to the tips, and hits a good drive. I go to the senior tees (about 40 yards up from the tips) and hit a good one for me (about 225) that rolls about 5 yards past Joe. When we get to the balls, he looks at me dead serious and says "I bet you think you really out drove me" .. I was really taken aback by it, and just kinda chuckled, and told him no. He got real quiet for a few holes. After the 4th hole, I was 1 over, and he said seriously "Now you probably think you are beating me legitimately, huh?" .. With that I said "I think I am otta here...have a great round and great life", and proceeded to head back to the clubhouse, with him pleading why are you leaving...wait...come back.

That was a single's nightmare !!!

Maybe one better. Years ago, played a real nice par 3 course...a gentleman came up to me on the first tee, and asked if I minded if he joined me. I was more then happy to oblige. We talked a lot while playing...he was a very nice polite guy from out of town. Here is the kicker. After the 9th hole when I putted out...he looked at me, and said "I can't believe you beat me on the front" .. I said excuse me....and he repeated it. I told him I'm just out here to have fun, and I have no idea what you even shot. (but I did know that I probably beat him handily). With that he challenged me to play the 10th hole for 5 bucks ! I was pretty surprised, but said sure. He told me to hit first. A 151 yard par 3 over water...I hit it on about 25 ft. He topped 2 balls in the water....threw a 5 spot at me and walked off the course. I just continued on my merry singles way to finish 18.

VERY STRANGE that some people can be like that. Rolling Eyes

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Funny about playing for money. About a month ago, I played with two other singles. One of the guys was pretty cool. The other guy was a complete jerk. One a long par 3, we all put our tee shots within a few feet of each other about 10 yards to the right of the green with a very long side pin location. So the jerk starts pushing that we should play closest to the pin for $5. Now I was having one of my best chipping rounds ever that day. I was putting everything within three feet, and I had a lot of up-and-down holes. Well, he persisted...and he was being a jerk about it, so I finally agreed. I shot first, and put my shot about 3' feet away. The jerk shot second, and he put his shot just inside of mine about 2.5 feet away. He was gloating and fist pumping and getting all carried away. That's when the third guy sunk his chip.

The jerk deserved it. I was never happier to relenquish $5.
bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject:

Bryan K wrote:
I was never happier to relenquish $5.

Good story. That sounds like an excellent way to spend $5.
bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject:

H Head wrote:
Can you relate to this ? "Now you probably think you are beating me legitimately, huh?"

and 2nd story

After the 9th hole when I putted out...he looked at me, and said "I can't believe you beat me on the front"

VERY STRANGE that some people can be like that. Rolling Eyes

I can sort of relate. More than once a single or player that I have joined has said something like "I got you on that hole" or something that indicates to me that he was competing against me without actually mentioning the fact to me. It has never risen to the level that you experienced, fortunately. Maybe it is a "Florida thing". Wink
joe jones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject:

I have been playing as a single for years. Business rarely allowed me to play with a set schedule. Of course I played with and payed for business associates and customers often. Rarely did I ever run into anti social behavior with the people I joined or those to joined me. I have always been able to adapt to any level of proficiency on the golf course. If it was a beginner so be it. If it was a low handicapper I relished the experience.More often then not the people I played with were very nice, ordinary people. When we lived in Vegas every one came from some other part of the country. Conversation often led to mutual experiences, common business backgrounds and sometimes mutual friends. I can only feel sorry for anyone who was not as fortunate as I was with what has been mostly a positive experience. Call me an optimist.

Duke of Hazards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject:

i mostly play as a walking single. I've never had any issues with a golf shop sending me out or pairing me as a single. I've also never had anyone try to compete with me and have never played with anyone I thought was a jerk. Closest was a cocky low-cap high school kid that drove it over a cart that had come into our fairway from an adjacent hole looking for their wayward drive some years back.

I'm indifferent regarding playing with randoms or by myself, however I do hate to get stuck behind groups if I'm a single and have to sit, waiting. In this regard, I prefer to be grouped up by the starter from the outset unless the course is going to be empty.

If I do get sent out alone and happen to bump up against a group, I'll usually assess the group's composition and body language and make a decision to politely ask if I can join them.

The only time I regretted this was a round this past summer where I got sandwiched between a foursome in front and a threesome in back of me. By the 2nd hole, I got stuck waiting and looked at the threesome coming up 1, 3 dudes that were roughly my age. While one of them was waiting for his buddy on the other side of the fairway to hit, I walked over and explained the situation and he said 'no problem' and so I waited for them on the 2nd tee to finish up hole 1... and waited, and waited. Turns out these guys were all 'true' beginners. Probably took 30 shots (and twice that many practice swings) between the 3 of them on the short par 5 opener. I felt a little bad for ditching them and moving on, but ran across them later and made up some polite lie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Etiquette All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: