Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

The white heads on drivers and putters

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

birdieXris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: The white heads on drivers and putters

So it seems that the "new thing" to "fix" everyone's problems is going to be white heads. The Ghost putter started it and now it's gone to drivers. Here's my thing... golf is played outside in the sun, and i know if i catch the sun the wrong way off my club, even with my sunglasses on, it leaves a burn mark in my vision and makes my game suffer a little bit. Even with the ball, i try to only look just before i'm ready to hit. With the big white driver head, i can see this happening more. Paula Creamer tweeted a photo and the flare off the clubhead was out of this world. What do you guys and gals think?

mjaber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject:

I think it's a matter of preference. I can see just as much glare coming from a shiny black driver as a shiny white driver.

I'd like to see them going to a matte finish, maybe a dark gray/gun metal color.
birdieXris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject:

yea i get the occasional flare from the shiny black, but this is an all white head now throwing it's entire dimension of white back at you, not just a spot glare. I just see that being an issue eventually. Maybe i'm wrong.

jev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject:

That exactly is the idea behind the Cleveland black pearl wedges, no?

So, what's next, black balls? Razz
birdieXris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I hit the Titleist 910 over the weekend. I hit the D2 and D3. Not impressed. Nothing really different about them in relation to the 909 except the adjustability. They still don't feel right to me, and they still don't hit it any farther than my tour burner. The R11 is my last hope in finding a driver that i can hit farther than what i have. I think Taylor made may have outdone themselves when they made the Tour burner.
birdieXris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject:

So yea... .hit the R11 over the weekend. I'm going to buy one in a week or 2. I don' care about the white paint. The ball LAUNCHES off the face. Absolutely launches. I wasn't even giving a go at it and i was hitting it as far as the Tour Burner. I turned on the juice and creamed it. I love this driver already. Anybody else hit it yet? If you haven't, you should try it. Not saying it'll be an instant purchase, but for real, if you don't fiddle with it and change the settings then you haven't really tried it. I was really wary of that white finish but it really does help you line up the face. It didn't even bug me, but again i haven't had it out in the sun yet. It's a matte finish so it may not be as big an issue as i thought.
birdieXris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Overcast day this weekend. I had the White head out and it didn't bother me a bit. No trails, no glare. Lined up so easy it wasn't even fair. Still not direct sunlight, but it worked pretty well on a high glare day. Not a bad dispersion pattern either. The marks wiped right off then, they're just plastic left over from the range balls and my ZF tees.

JTW1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Got my new R11 today. I can not wait to take it to the course. We spent about 45 min. on the range tweaking on it. My God this thing is long.
The white does not efect me at all, I kind of like it.
jfurr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject:

birdieXris,

my two cents

Back in Dec I did my first big club purchase and got the 910 (D3) driver. I like the adjustment feature. About 15yds longer than the Cleveland XL I was using. But I noticed if mis-hit not so good. If swung well, then truely accurate and long, but off a little and results less than desired.

A week or so back one of the golf shops in town had a store closing sale. I went crazy and bought a Burner Superfast 2.0 in 10.5 which has the white crown paint and is also lighter than 910 and increased shaft length. I thought it would be interesting to try a max game improvement stick.

That thing is silly long. Mishits still get out there (and if really mis hit a major spray issue), but hit one on the money and it is way long. Regarding the white paint, have to say I like it. Once you have it in front of you it doesn't seem weird at all.

I'm kind of alternating rounds with each to see if I'll keep the Burner or pass it on thru craigslist.

Hope you enjoy the R11, looks like the best of both worlds.
birdieXris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject:

Yup!! thoroughly enjoying the R11. Smile

JTW1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject:

I love the my new R11. I was thinking of getting a 46.5" shaft made for it. Not sure if I will but I am thinking about it. Any thoughts?
birdieXris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject:

JTW1 wrote:
I love the my new R11. I was thinking of getting a 46.5" shaft made for it. Not sure if I will but I am thinking about it. Any thoughts?

thats a little long i think, but whatever works for you. I usually play a 43" but this is a 44" and I'm ok with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> New sticks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: