Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Putting looking at the hole

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

bobhooe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Putting looking at the hole

I just finished an hour practice session on the putting green where I focused only on the hole. I first hit s bucket of balls and then my normal rutine of putting for 15 minuets or so. Started this session like any other. My normal stance and eye position. I couldn't make an 8 footer to save my life and was 3 putting 25-40 foot putts 3 out of 5 times. I was about to take off until I tried my regular stance but looked only at the hole. I couldn't believe the turn around in my performance. I was dropping 9 out of 10 eight footers and 25-40' putts were right next to the hole consisantly. If I didn't have to pick up my kids from school I might still be out there. Does any one else putt like this or have at least tried it. I'm so pumped and can't wait to take it to the course this weekend. Will for sure try it again tomorrow and make sure it wasn't a fluke.
DougE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't put too much stock in the idea. I can, however, understand how looking at the hole can give you a clearer picture of the task at hand. But, I too, thought I found a new putting technique that was going to work so much better, only to find out it was only an aberration. I started facing the hole more with an extremely open stance one round last week. I felt like I could see the line and necessary pace much better that way. Over and over, I was leaving the ball incredibly close from long distances. So, the next day, I went to the practice green to work on the idea some more. By the end of the session, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. But, hey, anything is worth a try until it doesn't work any more.

sepfeiff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject:

I tried this in a few practice sessions but couldn't see (no pun intended) the benefit. I actually felt as if I struck the ball more inconsistently.
Kurt the Knife

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject:

i do that inside of 5 feet n rarely fails

gpickin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I found hurting my right hand/wrist, I putted better, bottom hand must have been too strong in my putting.

I tried looking at the hole, but I screw up the actual connection if its more than a couple of feet putt.

But the important thing is, WHAT WORKS FOR YOU Smile

Iam Ironman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject:

I did that for a while years ago, still do it sometimes when practicing... What it really does is get you to focus on the target, not your putting stroke. Best of both worlds: focus on the target, look at the ball

bobhooe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject:

yea I have gone to a hybrid of the two. I look at the hole on mid to long putts but find myself hitting it past the hole too far on close ones

Dewdman42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject:

a long time ago I got some advice about looking at the hole when I putt and it was like a miracle cure. I was able to magically put right into the hole so accurately it was freaky, especially on the practice green. I became very dependent on this this tactic, and while it had its moments of brilliance and glory, there were far too many cases where I would mishit the ball. Mishitting the ball can simply be not hitting the putter face in the middle or topping it, etc. Those generally cause wild misses. So looking at the hole my putts would either be scary accurate or mishit way off.

For a while I did a hybrid where for long putts I would look at the hole in order to gauge the distance better, and shorter putts I knew how to stroke it and line was way more critical then distance so I would look at the ball. And my lag putts would be so scary accurate most of the time, looking at the hole my body would do these subtle last minute speed changes to my stroke and put the ball just the right distance. However I still had the problem of occasional mishits, and often enough to effect my score.

I have since gone to a visualization system, where I practice strokes looking at the hole, I get my line, then I setup to the ball and I look at the hole (or target spot on the green), back to the ball, back to the spot, a couple of times until I have a mental image in my mind of it, in terms of distance. Then I look at that ball and focus on making a clean stroke on the correct line, VISUALLIZING in my mind simulaneously that target spot so that I make those last minute body feel adjustments to my stroke for distance. In a few weeks time I have been become pretty scary accurate that way in terms of stroke distance and now I almost never mishit the ball. My errors now are when I get distracted from that visualization and then don't put the right feel into the shot. But that is over comeable with practice.

I highly recommend you move to a visualization method instead of keeping your eyes on the cup.
Fleming

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject:

We process strokes investigating the particular pit, We get the range, i quickly create for the golf ball in addition to We look at the pit or focus on just right the particular green, back to the particular golf ball, back to the spot, a few times till We have a thought impression in my intellect than it, with regards to range.

golf tours to mission hills

Last edited by Fleming on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
DougE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject:

Fleming wrote:
We process strokes investigating the particular pit, We get the range, i quickly create for the golf ball in addition to We look at the pit or focus on just right the particular green, back to the particular golf ball, back to the spot, a few times till We have a thought impression in my intellect than it, with regards to range.

I think we might have a communication problem.
DougE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject:

Fleming wrote:

I think we might have a communication problem.
bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject:

You can say that again! Wink

Wes11point5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject:

Fleming wrote:

Give the Governor a hurumph!
srogers13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject:

HARUMPH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Golf Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: