Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

New Titleist AP2 712 Irons

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

DougE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: New Titleist AP2 712 Irons

Just got fit by Titleist rep and ultimately ordered a set (5-PW). Freakin' beautiful irons. Though they haven't actually been released to stores yet, I'm still hoping to have them in my hands in two weeks. I am so excited. I was playing Titleist 755 forged irons from 2006 era. Even though the AP2s are considered a full players club, the rep said I will experience more forgiveness with the 712 version than with my 755s or even the AP2 710 version from a couple years ago.

Of course, here in the northeast, it is unlikely I will get good conditions in which to play them until April. It's gonna be a long winter. I am, however, sneaking off to Florida on the 21st for Thanksgiving week. What are the odds I'll have my new clubs beforehand? Knowing Titleist, probably not great, but I have my fingers crossed.

Anyone else considering the new 712s?
mustang6560

Admin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Titleist AP2 712 Irons

I contacted Titleist a couple weeks ago to see if they would send me a set to review, but they said no...
DougE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Titleist is like that. Great products, but somewhat of an elitist attitude.

I will say though, their Team Titleist people are EXTREMELY helpful and knowledgeable. Whenever I have a question about anything Titleist related, I go on line to the TT site and ask it. Usually within a day or two, I have a very specific answer to my question. And, they will usually invite me to call and speak with someone at TT. I have done that on a number of occasions and always get quality responses and help from whomever I speak with, and never once felt rushed off the phone.

sepfeiff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject:

I hit the new line (practically every club he had including wedges) with the Titleist rep recently, liked them all but especially impressed by the AP1's. The guy gave me as much attention and courtesy as I could expect even though they were extremely busy. Enjoy your new toys! Very Happy

birdieXris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Not gonan get the 712s but i do have a set of 710s, and they're the best iron i've ever played. I Don't change my irons often. I have had 4 sets in 25 years. I had a set of wilson Muscle backs from 1982, then traded them in on CobraII TI irons (yea i had the wilsons a while), traded the cobra IIs for Cobra carbon CBs, and the carbon CBs for the Titleist 710s (to conform with the new groove rules). I haven't gone less than two years between iron sets. The 710 is a players club and is a really nice set of irons. Hard to believe they improved on them that much.
DougE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject:

birdieXris wrote:
The 710 is a players club and is a really nice set of irons. Hard to believe they improved on them that much.

Chris:

They DID improve on them. I can't say how much, but these are players clubs that are more forgiving than my old Titleist 755s, which were somewhere between a players club and GI club, back in 2006. When held side by side to the 710 version they have a more pleasing face shape and thinner top line. Try them for the hell of it if you get a chance. I am sure you will be impressed if you already like the 710 model.
Dusty23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject:

Just tried them the other day along with the AP1's and the Callaway Razor Tour. After a few balls it didn't take long to put the Razor aside, don't get me wrong, very nice club, good looks, but the 2 Titleists just felt better. However, I hit a couple of balls with the AP2 that were the worst stingers I've ever felt. I've got Mizuno MX-25's which were more of a GI forging, so probably just a more forgiving club. As much as I love those AP2's, I think the AP1's are the clubs for me. Now we were trying these on a cold, windy day, with limited flight range balls, but if this is the feeling on a mishit... Going to try them again under better conditions.

birdieXris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject:

DougE wrote:
birdieXris wrote:
The 710 is a players club and is a really nice set of irons. Hard to believe they improved on them that much.

Chris:

They DID improve on them. I can't say how much, but these are players clubs that are more forgiving than my old Titleist 755s, which were somewhere between a players club and GI club, back in 2006. When held side by side to the 710 version they have a more pleasing face shape and thinner top line. Try them for the hell of it if you get a chance. I am sure you will be impressed if you already like the 710 model.

I can hear it now... "honey, i'm going to Golf Galaxy to take a look at a set of irons". "YOU WERE JUST THERE LOOKING AT A 5 WOOD!!" "but these are irons." "you're hitting your irons good, you don't need them!" hahaha.

mjaber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject:

birdieXris wrote:
I can hear it now... "honey, i'm going to Golf Galaxy to take a look at a set of irons". "YOU WERE JUST THERE LOOKING AT A 5 WOOD!!" "but these are irons." "you're hitting your irons good, you don't need them!" hahaha.

And here endeth the Honeymoon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> New sticks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: