Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Do I really need a 3 and 5 wood??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Bryan K

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject:

I just started hitting a five wood. I played without one for the longest time because I really didn't have a gap between my driver and my hybrids. And then once a gap developed, I still wasn't straight enough (consistently) for it to matter if I could fill the gap. But over this summer, there have been a handful of holes where I just don't have enough distance with my hybrids to set me up with a good chance at par, and I don't have enough accuracy with my driver to keep it in the fairway. So I picked up a 5w. Until today, though, I really couldn't hit it from anywhere but the tee box. But I worked on it by hitting about two dozen balls off the deck at the driving range this evening, and I started to get some good shots. I'm anxious to see it used on the course, though. I have three mid/long distance clubs in my bag right now that are still new to me, and in learning how to hit them, my mid/short iron game has suffered a bit.

player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject:

I carry a 3, 4 and 7 wood but don`t hit them great.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject:

Just thought I'd update...I had a 5w shot on the course I played on Wednesday (hardest course I've played to date) that I could have never made three weeks ago. It was off a tee on a 205 yard par three that played uphill into the wind. I hit it 205, pin high, just to the left of the green. I wish I could say that I went up and down to save par, but alas, I missed the putt. But I never would have even had a shot at going up and down to save par before I got my 5w.
DougE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject:

The reality is that a 3W is harder to hit off the deck than any other club in your bag (except maybe a 1-iron, but only God....and maybe Lee Trevino carry---and can hit---one of them). However, add a couple degrees of loft and a 1/2 inch shorter shaft and you have a much more hittable 4W, which will only be a few yards shorter than a well struck 3W. Theoretically, I figure I hit a good clean 3W 5 out of 10 times, yet, I hit a 4W 7-8 out of 10 times. Keeping that in mind, losing 10 yards with a 4W, but gaining confidence, control and ultimately more accuracy, goes a long way to lowering scores overall. Skip the 3 and 5 woods, put in a 4W and a hybrid or two.

Actually, I find that a couple inches choked down on a 3 hybrid will give me the equivalent of a 4 hybrid, giving me the option to skip the 4H and put in another scoring club. I have done that, not only with hybrids, but have left out my 5 iron---when trying to get in at 14 clubs---and choked down on my 4H to get almost the same result I might get with my 5 iron.
DougE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject:

Of course, in the above post, a driver is more difficult to hit than a 3W off the deck, but I figured before I got called out on it, I would qualify that I meant: of the clubs you would NORMALLY try to hit off the deck.'

sepfeiff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject:

No need to overstaff your long clubs if you can't hit confidently with distance. If you are playing a 3 iron, or 3 Iron hybrid then I'd say gap 4 degrees down from your lowest iron and play a Hybrid as they are more versatile than a 4,5,6,7 wood.

jeremyheslop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject:

sepfeiff wrote:
No need to overstaff your long clubs if you can't hit confidently with distance. If you are playing a 3 iron, or 3 Iron hybrid then I'd say gap 4 degrees down from your lowest iron and play a Hybrid as they are more versatile than a 4,5,6,7 wood.

+1 for hybrids and confidence, but I do carry a 3w. I'm thinking about getting a new 3w though at 15.5* would make it closer to some 4w, but close enough to my 19* 3Hy to close the gaps.

My basic thought on long clubs is to just have a few that you are confident with. I'll layup with my 3Hy instead of going with my 3w because I know I'll hit a good shot.
bluto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I think it's easier to hit a 5W than a hybrid. Theoretically, you give up a little control, but what good is that added control if you can't strike the ball as well with the hybrid? I just bought a 5W 18* last week to replace my 19* hybrid. Took both clubs to the range to compare. I probably had 1 mis-hit with the 5W to every 5 mis-hits with the hybrid. And when comparing solidly hit shots from each club, I found the 5W to be easier to control. I feel like that stems from the confidence I have in knowing I'll hit a solid shot. It's not like I was throwing darts with either club, so I'll take the one I'm going to hit more consistently any day of the week.

Sl1therBE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject:

I dont own a 3 or a 5 wood at the moment , they're definitely not the most used clubs but , I personally struggle with a controlled draw of the tee so a 3 wood is great of the tee and you definitely need a 5 wood in the bag.
Since youre not playing for that long i would wait until your swing is solid with the irons , then maybe look out for a couple of woods

1slander1970

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Driver 3,5,7,9 Metal; Putter; 5, 7, 8, 9 irons; PW SW GW LW

mjaber wrote:
I've been toying with a 4/4/4 concept. 4 hybrids, 4 irons, 4 wedges.

Irons- 6 to 9
Wedges- 48, 52, 56, 60
Hybrids- 2,3,4,5

I've tossed around the idea of going 1h,3h,5h and adding a 4w as a secondary tee club, as well.

I have nothing against hybrids other than I do not hit them as well off the fairway as I hit fairway metals.

I carry a 5i only to get under trees Smile

Anything over 150 I go to the Fairway metals for the different distances. It takes some getting used to but once you get the swing down in the fairway you can land them pretty softly. Even in the rough they work great if not better for me than irons.

I had Pine Meadow golf build me the four fairway metals to the same length so my set up and swing is the same for each fairway metal.

Works for me.

hollywoodtimb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Late to the conversation here..

Looking at your game stats, you are a 14+ handicap, trending upwards.
You also only seem to play about 6000yd total courses on average. For that distance of tees, you do not need both a 3 and 5 wood.
You stated that you are also a new player, this adds to my belief that one wood is more than enough.

What you don't want is a plethora of clubs in your bag that makes picking which to use on any given shot a struggle.
You also won't hit your fwy woods often anyways, so you'll get very little practice time with them on an actual course under pressure.

Pick a 3 or a 5 and leave it at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> New sticks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: