Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

swing video then and now
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

jfurr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: swing video then and now

I guess I just felt like sharing. I shot this video back in Nov a few evenings at the range - was working on the hip turn to start downswing.

Swing is a little different now, after taking a lesson and was given some advice. I plan to do a new video soon for comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxDG1bSxhl0
jfurr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject:

For comparison, here is a slow motion video of an older swing from last April. Hard to see but my back leg getting in the way towards impact and I get all crammed up and blocked, more of a flip behind the ball. In fact it looks like I might have shanked this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xJuprVOVNs
bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject:

The November swing doesn't belong to a 19.7 index handicapper. Time to start getting some results. Wink
DougE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject:

You could definitely beat me with that swing. I'm impressed.
jfurr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys for the comments. When I get on the course it just falls apart.

One of my regular playing partners for the past few years is a steady 7 index. His index moves around maybe a tenths or two month to month. By comparison, mine moves up/down a lot, like from 24 to 17 to 12 to 20. Some holes our play is similar. Difference is his bad hole is a bogey or double or maybe a triple - where I'll take triples or more several times per nine.

This is the year for me to to learn to STOP doing these things that cause blow ups. Spraying the ball off the tee OB. Duffing a nice easy approach inside 150. Fluffing or blasting a chip/pitch leaving me off the green again or way above the hole with tricky putts. If there is a way to goof up a hole, I seem to find the way to do it.

If I didn't love this game so much, I'd be much more discouraged, but will keep at it.

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject:

I agree with those guys, looks way better than a 19 cap. I was impressed too, I'd say your planes are nice and you have a solid aggressive pivot move. I envy that position at the top. Maybe it would help to play more holes and less practice balls. I read a bit of Raymond Floyd's book, and he says that if he were somehow equipped with your golf swing, he would beat you every time, because he is just good at playing the game. Seeing your swing & handicap combo makes me think of that. I'm sure Ray Floyd could break 80 with your action, at least.

I know you didn't ask for feedback but you ever think about turning more into your right side on the backswing? It appears a little like your transition gets rushed, you don't quite have room to square it in time and hence the little flip at the bottom. In the video some swings are better than the others but in the bad ones I did notice sort of less than complete backswing. Load up that right side, get that left shoulder behind the ball, or closer to it. Is my crackpot advice.
jfurr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the feedback, agree. Some of the new stuff I'm working on is on getting planted more on the right side on backswing, maybe a little more turn in it too, and definately trying to put a little "stall" at the top and not so quick. I had been staying too much on the balls of the feet, and tended to lean in towards the golf ball coming down. Now with a slight grip adjustment, take-away plane adjustment and the footwork I hope to have chance to get more into square at impact without the last split-second manipulation. I usually play more but with the winter hours and trying to get the new stuff grooved been more into practice. And there is certainly an art to scoring which I'm not there yet...

gpickin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject:

My swing is no where near as pretty I'm sure, to be honest, I'm scared to see it on video, but i'm getting that done this friday... so I guess if I bring it home I'll post it. People seem impressed with it, but I don't know.

Although I do share a common problem, the inconsistency. Its frustrating to hit 8 great shots and 2 TERRIBLE ones where the ball dribbles 10 feet in front of you.

I have 15 holes where I look like a 12 capper, and 3 that look like I've never played before.

So for me, I golf around this principle: Its not how good your good shots are, but how you recover from your bad shots

falcon50driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject:

The other day I was having a bad day, playing with a guy I just met. I said "I don't think I've ever played this bad before" ...To which he said "You've played golf before?"

gpickin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject:

SNAP - I am surprised I haven't heard that before.
jfurr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Well, today did a video at the range again...

It is weird, trying to put in several changes, but the video looks like recent previous others from my personal video log to me.

Wanted to work on three things:

1. grip
2. take away plane
3. turn and footwork

Have to say grade F on all three changes, even though it felt different at the time. I think that is what is weird about video - which I have been doing since I started playing a few years ago - the visual might not match the mental picture or feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_Ko2MAkrQ

Dug out the little camera for slow motion, which is not that good in low light and is fuzzy. Some slo mo 9 irons then a driver and some 1/2 or 3/4 ish wedges.

Monster divots and cut swings. I swear I think my grip is at fault- cannot seem to keep the clubhead from being so hooded on takeaway.

fyi - I'm putting this stuff up there for me to air out my ideas and I appreciate your checking it out and any feedback is welcome. After a few weeks I'll probably pull the video down, though. Thanks!

birdieXris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject:

[quote="jfurr"]Well, today did a video at the range again...

It is weird, trying to put in several changes, but the video looks like recent previous others from my personal video log to me.

Wanted to work on three things:

1. grip
2. take away plane
3. turn and footwork

Have to say grade F on all three changes, even though it felt different at the time. I think that is what is weird about video - which I have been doing since I started playing a few years ago - the visual might not match the mental picture or feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_Ko2MAkrQ

Dug out the little camera for slow motion, which is not that good in low light and is fuzzy. Some slo mo 9 irons then a driver and some 1/2 or 3/4 ish wedges.

Monster divots and cut swings. I swear I think my grip is at fault- cannot seem to keep the clubhead from being so hooded on takeaway.

fyi - I'm putting this stuff up there for me to air out my ideas and I appreciate your checking it out and any feedback is welcome. After a few weeks I'll probably pull the video down, though. Thanks![/quote]

Dude, how are you only a 19? that swing is pretty darn impressive! Good work!

sepfeiff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject:

ok, good stuff, plane is ok, you look athletic. I would reduce working on takeaway and grip, it isn't warranting that much attention in my opinion given the already fantastic swing you have. Grip and posture aren't going to fix the swing flaws I see.

1. Keep your head in place.
When golfers move their upper bodies laterally, the bottom of their swing arc moves laterally along with it. You are swaying laterally 6 inches or more which equals fat or thin depending on your upper body timing. If your arms are faster than usual your body will not move forward laterally fast enough and thus a fat shot because the bottom of the swing arc is still behind the ball when your hands pass the ball...and vice-versa for thin shots.

I suggest that you keep your head and sternum laterally stable through the swing.. try to imagine swinging with your spine locked in place. Start with your sternum over the ball at address and slightly forward of it at impact (Irons only of course because the bottom of the driver arc is actually just behind the ball)

2. Hands ahead of the ball at impact.
I see more wrist action in your swing just before impact than I would recommend. Delay your release for a lower/penetrating ball flight and added distance with the irons. Over active hands are the bane of ball striking, hold the release as long as you can. This also moves the bottom of your swing arc forward of the ball.

3. Figure 8 drill to eliminate outside in path
Start the takeaway, bring it to the top with a full shoulder turn and swing at 80%. It looks to me like most of your shots are fade or pull. This drill is going to exaggerate an inside approach. You should be able to hit a nice tidy draw with the figure 8 path. This drill will also help at the top of your swing to drop your hands just inside of the takeaway plane so that the clubhead makes it inside the rear marking ball. Put in at least 50 swings a day on that path to groove it in around a month.

4. Bigger shoulder turn
Another of the large contributors to over the top swing is a restricted shoulder turn. You could definitely have more. Not enough shoulder turn means not enough hip turn which for an athletic person with an aggressive weight shift and hip turn means wide open hips to the target at impact. Hit your flop shots with open hips, not stock shots.

jfurr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Thanks sepfeiff for the feedback, sir. I definately get the timing out of sync coming down. I'll study your suggestions.
jfurr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for checking out my swing. I went ahead and pulled down the video though. Still working on stuff, feel I am making progress slowly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Golf Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: