Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Introduce Yourself or RE-INTRODUCE Yourself
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

DougE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Introduce Yourself or RE-INTRODUCE Yourself

You know what guys? Many of us spend a lot of time reading and writing in these forums. It has become a friendly place. There are many regulars who post all the time who I feel are some of my virtual golfing buddies. However there is one thing missing. We really don't know anything about each other. Many of you may like it that way, which is perfectly fine. But for me, I know, I would really like to know more about you guys, just as I would if I got paired up with you for a round. Hey, what do you do for work? Where do you live? How often do you play? What got you into the game? Whatever?

The Oob profile page is quite limited in the info others can see about each other. So, I thought, it might be nice to have a place (this forum) to give more details about who you are and where your game started, and is today. Put in any info you care to reveal about yourself. It's all good. And leave out any you want to keep private. It's up to you.

I'll start. I hope many of you regulars will join in (Birdie, Brian & Bryon Ks, Beef, Merlin, G-Gil,Steve M, Jev, mjaber, Player, definitely Player) and everyone who hangs out here for fun.

Here's what I'm willing to offer about me:

Oob Screen Name: DougE
Name: Doug E.
Home: Oxford CT
Home Course: Oxford Greens, Member
Slope Rating 131 Whites, 133 Blues
Really nice course. One of the best public courses in CT
Also play Grassy Hill, Orange Hills and other area courses regularly.
Rounds per week: Average 3-4 in season
Rounds per year: Varies, but usually 75-90+

Age (Range): Mid 50s (in 2012)

Work: Yacht Restoration Professional (2nd career) www.dakotamarine.com
Previously: Advertising/Marketing Creative Director

Years at the Game: Restarted in 2005 after many years not playing.

Caddied at 13. Worked on a course at 19. Played a little in my teens and early 20s, on and off, but not very seriously, then again in my 30s and early 40s sporadically. Shot high 90s-low 100s. My passion was racing and cruising sailboats for a 25-year period of my life, so golf was never a focus, but a game I always wished I had time to take more seriously. I gave up sailing as a full time commitment in 2004 and finally had time to do other things. Golf was first on my list and I have been passionate about it ever since.

Presently play:
Titleist AP2 712 Irons
Titleist 910 Woods and Hybrid
Ping Milled Anser 5 Putter.
Pro V1x, NXT Tour, Bridgestone E5 and B330-RXS

Favorite Resort Courses I've Played:
Vistoso, Tuscon AZ
Celebration, Orlando
Barefoot Resorts, Dye and Love courses, Myrtle Beach
Arizona National, Tuscon
Tuscany, Las Vegas
Mahogany Run, St. Thomas USVI

Anything I missed? I'm an open book.

How about you?

jev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Good idea Doug! Here's me:

Oob Screen Name: JEV
Real world name: Joost
Home: Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Age (Range): Mid 40's (feeling 60'ish now)
Work: project manager embedded technologies with a major electronic design tooling company. Hey,you didn't say it should not be boring! Laughing

Homecourse: member of Edda Huzid, Voorthuizen
This is a PAR-70 course, CR 69.5 / SR 131 from white (the tips) and CR 68.0 / SR 126 from yellow (standard man's tees). Edda Huzid provides 13 holes in the forrest and 5 more in a park-like setting. It features not very long but pretty narrow fairways that require precision and good planning. Small greens.

Rounds per week: Average 1 to 2, whole year around.
Handicap 21 (and planning to drop to below 16 this year). I had a lot of back problems for the last 10 years but with the help of a fantastic coach I've been able to find a way around that issue last year.

I started playing 6 years ago together with my wife. First lessons in Portugal, than went on to get a golfing license (yes, you read that correctly; you need a license to play golf in the Netherlands!) for which we spent a week in the north of France. Decided on membership Edda Huzid right after that. The next couple of years I played Edda and courses all around the country, Belgium, France, Portugal and in Ireland. Hoping to add a couple of Swedish courses to that list this summer and next time I'm in the US I'll certainly try to bring my clubs!

Anyway, the club asks members to help out with all kind of things and I chose to be part of the Rules committee. Referee and licensed examiner for the Dutch golf association as a result.

You won't find my scores here on oob because I communicate these directly to the club as well as make them available in the system of my coach. Adding it here won't do anything for me since the European handicapping system is not supported by oob anyway.

Favorite courses I played: AA St. Omer (France), Royal Zoute (Belgium), Omaha Beach (France), Cannes Mougin (France), Castro Marim (Portugal), Vila Sol (Portugal), Nunspeet (the Netherlands), Bleijenbeek (Netherlands) and the list goes on and on.

On the list to play in 2012: Wimereux (France), Noordwijk (NL), De Kennemer (NL), Bro Hof Slott (Sweden).

The bag:
Driver: Wilson Deep Red driver
Woods: Custom Build 3-wood and rescue-4
Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15
Putter: Ping Anser
Balls: Srixon AD333, Callaway Warbird and now switching to Bridgestone E6+.
DougE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Much appreciated and now I feel like we all know a little something about you. Knowing your involvement on the rules committee clears up a lot about many of your posts. It's a pleasure to virtually meet you. And thanks for offering so much info, both about yourself on this thread and in all the forums in which you reply and post.

Duke of Hazards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Oob Screen Name: Duke of Hazards
Name: Spencer
Home: Diamond Bar, CA
Home Course: Diamond Bar GC
Pretty decent muni, longer than most.

Also play Mountain Meadows, San Dimas Canyon, other locals. Kind of hooked on home course right now.

Rounds per week: Trying to average 2-3 rounds a month
this year.
Rounds per year: Up until 2011, only 3 or so a year, started to play more last year.

Age (Range): Mid 30s

Work: Auto Insurance Claims

Years at the Game: Started playing in Aug 2006

I had always enjoyed playing videogame golf, for whatever reason, even though I never played as a kid. In college, I worked at a pizza parlor in Davis, CA that had one of those Golden Tee arcade games, you know with the roller ball. My coworkers and I would play for money after work during closing.

Anyway, my wife and I decided to take golf group lessons through the community newsletter in August of 2006. I got hooked immediately. I'm a bit of a range rat, but through the first 4 years of playing, didn't get that many full rounds under my belt due to work and also having 2 little boys (born in 2007 and 08 ). I'm pretty busy, but my wife is supportive and pushes me to go and play. I feel like I have some solid swing mechanics, just struggle to get comfortable and relax out on the course (taking the range to the course thing). I think more rounds will remedy that. I also need to commit more time to short game and putting practice.

Presently play:
Adams A3 Driver, 3-wood and iron/hybrids.
Adams wedges
TM Rossa classic putter
Top-Flite Gamer and D2+ feel balls

McCormick Ranch in Scottsdale, AZ

Want to play: Pasatiempo, TPC Sawgrass, Carnoustie

Ultimate dream course: Cypress Point

Favorite pros: T. Woods, Jason Day, Boo Weekley

mjaber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject:

OK... I'm in.

Oob Screen Name: mjaber
Name: Mike
Home: Haverhill, MA
Home Course: Don't have one. Primarily play Campbell's Scottish Higlands in Salem, NH and Granite Fields in Kingston, NH

Both are very nice courses. Love the Highlands, because the rangers take their job seriously, and will keep pace to what the scorecard says it should be. A little expensive to play alot. That's where Granite Fields wins in my book. Good price, usually pretty quiet, since it's a fairly new course (opened in '05, I think). When the trees along the fairways grow in, it's going to be a bear, though.

Rounds per week: Only get out about twice a month during the season now. Used to be a couple times a week.
Rounds per year: I try to get 20
Age (Range): Mid 30's
Work: Too long to explain...
Years at the Game: 3 or 4, I think

Presently play:
Cobra S2 irons
Taylormade R5 Dual TP
TM & Dunlop Hybrids
TM & Eidolon wegdes (48* Eidolon, 52* 56* 60* TM)
Titleist DT SoLo

My daughter turns 2 in August, which is why my rounds have been in steady decline over the last couple of years. I find myself wanting to do things with her, rather than golfing. The people I used to golf with when I started either I don't see often, or have had the same familial additions as I have. I'm sure I'll get to play more again eventually, but I'm ok with getting out once in a while for now.

birdieXris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject:

I'm in too..

Oob Screen Name: BirdieXris
Name: Chris
Home: Lancaster, PA
Home Course: Everywhere/ don't have one.
Slope Rating: Varies
Rounds per week: In a good week 2-3
Rounds per year: The past couple years it's been only like 40.. i think. i don't really count.

Age (Range): 31

Work: Director of Digital Services, TC Studios.
Previously: Lab tech at a rival studio.

Years at the Game: Officially 25. Be 26 after this season. Only about 4 with the intention of making something of it.

Swung my first club at the age of 5. It was a cut down, sawed off persimmon 5 wood that my grandfather made for me. Duffed the first one, and sent the 2nd one through the patio window about 75 yards away. Hooked ever since. Played the Lehigh Valley Junior Tour (LVJT) when i was younger. Closest i ever got to winning was the semi finals of match play in a tournament. Played all through highschool and was MVP all 4 years and number 1 on the team. Stopped playing in College after a miscommunication with someone who said they were the coach (they were not-- also they were an ass). Picked it back up with the full intention of making the 2014 US Open Qualifier. So far so good.

Presently play:
Titleist AP2 710 Irons 4-PW
Nickent 4DX 3 wood, Nickent 3dx 3Hy
Faultless Blade Putter
Callaway Diablo Tour (for right now) ball.

Nimacolin Resort
White Tail Resort
The Greenbrier (old white, and the greenbrier)
Traditions, Myrtle beach
A few others in MB that i can't remember.
DougE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject:

I'm likin' this thread. Thanks for taking the time guys. It just makes the OOB community a little friendlier and a touch less anonymous in my opinion.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject:

Me too!

Great idea, Doug:)

Oob Screen Name: Bryan K
Name: Fred (just kidding. It's acutally Bryan)
Home: Fargo, ND
Home Course: Rose Creek Municipal
Slope Rating 71/124 from the tips, 69/120 from the whites. That makes the bogey rating about 96 from the tips and 93 from the whites. For what it's worth, I hate this course with a passion.
Rounds per week: 5-6
Rounds per year: I've averaged 170 scores posted here over the last three years
Age (Range): I turn 37 next month

Work: I work as a dispatcher, but I prefer the title "workforce logistics analyzer and planner" because I rarely actually dispatch anymore. I'm also going to school. I hate school.

Years at the Game: Started when I was 8. Played pretty regularly until my early to mid 20's. Picked it up again at age 34. This will be my fourth summer back at it, and my goal is to get my cap below 15. I started last summer at 20, and I spent most of last summer trying to get below 18. I finally accomplished that at the end of the year when I switched to blades and ditched the Eidolons. I save at least two strokes per round by being able to use my new equitable stroke control.

Presently play:
Adams Pro Black forged Muscleback irons
Adams Idea Pro Gold Forged wedges
TaylorMade Burner Rescue Hybrids
Ping G15 12* Driver
Cleveland Launcher fairway wood
Odyssey White Steel Two-Ball Putter
Bridgestone E5 balls
Footjoy Countour Series shoes

I've never played a resort course, per se. But I do travel a lot and play a lot of courses on the road. My favorite to date is the Star Ranch course in the Austin, Texas area. I also really like Wildflower and Detroit Country Club in the Detroit Lakes area. Heritage Links in Lakeville, MN; Crystal Lake in Burnsville, MN; and Links National in Sauk Centre, MN are all nice courses as well.
bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Oob Screen Name: bkuehn1952

Name: Brian Kuehn - married with 2 full grown young men and 5 grandkids.

Home: Ann Arbor, MI

Home Course: Leslie Park Golf Course - one of the two city-owned courses in Ann Arbor. The reality is that I play numerous venues and in a given year will play 25-30 different courses. I have a regular game with a couple guys Tuesday evenings at the University of Michigan Golf Course (Alastair McKenzie design). I refer to us as the Three Amigoes and we whizz around the course trying to get as many holes in before dark as we can. Typically it is 20+.

Rounds per week: about 3-4

Rounds per year: 100+

Age: 59 but, as someone earlier said, I feel & look like 89.

Work: Insurance consulting for a policyholder-owned insurance company. We run the company for the policyholders. This work allows me to set my own hours, hence the 100+ rounds a year.

Previous Work: All in various insurance related work

Years at the Game: Began in 1961 and played off & on since. About 1980 really got excited about the game when I started to play with some guys from work.

Clubs: currently list under my profile is accurate

Course Talk: The family that owns the company for which I work has taken a shine to me. So I have been dragged along on Company paid golfing trips to SW Ireland, Pebble Beach/Monterrey Peninsula, Torrey Pines, Pinehurst, The Greenbrier. We will be back to Torrey in a couple months. All these places are pretty fantastic but once one strips away all the other stuff, golf remains the same: keep the ball in play, get it in the hole with as few strokes as possible and then go to the next hole. It is the game that I love, not the venue. While it is certainly more interesting playing Pebble, I am content when I am on the course, wherever it may be.

Three Wishes:

1. Somehow we pull together an Oob Golf Weekend. Probably a pipe dream since only Merlin has a plane. My vision is to get as many of us at some relative central point (Atlanta?). Fly in Friday, play 18 Saturday, have dinner, maybe play some Sunday or take off as one needs.
2. More active and greater numbers of participants on the message boards
3. Get some other Oobers to write short pieces under the "Oober's Rock" feature.

mjaber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Bryan K wrote:

Can we call you "Derf"?

Bryan K

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:

mjaber wrote:
Bryan K wrote:

Can we call you "Derf"?

No. But you may call me Bryan:)

mjaber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject:

DougE wrote:
It just makes the OOB community a little friendlier

You're still not getting my Bud Light.

jev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject:

birdieXris wrote:
Swung my first club at the age of 5. It was a cut down, sawed off persimmon 5 wood that my grandfather made for me. Duffed the first one, and sent the 2nd one through the patio window about 75 yards away. Hooked ever since.

That's gold - I just can see this happening Laughing . You where allowed to try again next day?

Bryan K

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject:

The first time I ever hit a golf ball was when I was 8. I used a wood off of the fairway, and I sent that puppy flying. Looking back, it probably went about 70-80 yards, but man that was a great feeling.
jarick098

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Oob Screen Name: jarick098
Name: My name is Jared. And I like to party...
Home: Dexter, MI
Home Course: No true "home" course. If I had to pick a local favorite, it would be Timber Trace Golf Club
Rounds per week: 1-2
Rounds per year: Last year I squeezed out about 30 rounds. This year I plan to make some more time for the twilight rounds.
Age (Range): 28 this year

Work: Brake Caliper Designer.

Years at the Game: Started to really get in to the game when I was 18 when we move in to the Gateway Golf Club community in Romulus.

Presently play: Check the "equipment"

Favorite Resort Courses I've Played: The Rock at Drummond Island Resort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: