Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Describe your bag
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

SteveMM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Describe your bag

We have a thread to describe your golf game ... why not discuss what you're carrying around in your bag?

I have a black Nike stand bag -- great bag that didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I always carry the maximum 14 clubs, even if I don't use them all. Here's my compliment of clubs:

Driver
3W
5W
21* hybrid
24* hybrid
5i-9i
PW
SW
GW
Putter

I carry two towels -- one that stays on the bag and one to carry out to where my ball is, in case I need to lay a club in the wet grass.

I usually have 2-3 gloves in my bag, in case of a blowout. This includes my rain gloves that I just bought. I carry both the left and the right rain glove, even though I've found that I can't wear both and still get my grip pressure right.

When I go out to the course, I always carry three boxes of balls (rarely get past the first box) and a plastic bag with a handful of my better shag balls. If I find that I'm having one of those days where I lose a bunch of new balls, I just switch to the shag balls. As you can see, I believe in being prepared. Nothing worse than running out of balls during a round.

Random things in my bag: Knee brace, wrench to adjust my driver (never used), band-aids, extra markers, a whole mess of tees, a club brush, a small bottle of water, a chewy granola bar, and my rain suit.

jev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject:

What, just one bag? Shocked
I've got a couple (dunno exactly) but the most used is cartbag (Benneton QO-9), closely followed by a lightweight unbranded standbag and a pipe-bag (wintertime, just fits half a set).

In the bag: D, 3W, 4R, 4i-9i, PW, 52*/56*/60*, P.

Three towels here: one dry & one wet on the bag, a large dry one in the bag. For putting clubs down in wet grass, I just use my pitchfork to keep the grip from the ground. Golftool (brush on one end, sharp pin on the other) on the outside too.

Further more: ballretriever, couple of gloves, rainsuit, umbrella, windbreaker, hat, softspikes + wrench, balls, rulesbook, rangefinder, something to drink, something to eat. Lots of small things: knife, pencils, tees, markers, extra pitchfork and last but not least the "Annoying Clicking Score Counter" Very Happy.
bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject:

DougE asked "What's in Your Bag" a bit ago (Fore Play - January, 2012). So I won't dwell on the contents too much.

I currently carry a Callaway Hyper-Lite 3.0 (Gray & Black). Bought it at the end of 2011 on sale from TGW with free shipping for a great price. I get a new bag about every 2-3 years. I play quite a bit and carry whenever possible, which tends to bang them up a bit. Since the bags I purchase are on the lower end of the price scale they are not as durable as some higher end models.

My main criteria for a bag is weight (current one is under 3 pounds) and then cost. I have gotten some great deals on close-outs but often the color selection is what is left over. My previous bag's color scheme led to some of my buddies calling me "The Bumble Bee" because of the Yellow/Black design.

I always carry 14 clubs. You can check "My Game" for the line up. Since weight is a consideration, I limit the ball count to 6-8 and only take what I probably will need (i.e. little chance of rain = no umbrella).

I want to win one of those "Goose" towels because my current rag is really pathetic. In fact calling it a "rag" is an insult to the rag population.

Years ago I bought a highly discounted bag by a major manufacturer at a golf show. I was pretty pleased with the purchase until I got ready to put my umbrella on the bag. No umbrella holder. No loops, sleeves, cords - nada. To this day that is the first thing I check when I look at a bag to buy.

birdieXris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject:

i carry an Ogio Grom stand/combo bag. Black and orange. Normally i have 2-3 gloves in there. Swing donut, tees, 2 divot tools, at least $3 in quarters, 4 ball markers. All just in case. Generally i'll carry about 8 balls per round. If i'm playing a tourney or a course that i haven't played before i'll bring a dozen. The large pocket will have a wind breaker and/or my rain gear (weather dependant), and another towel.
One towel and my club caddy on the outside. Cheap $.50 club brush on the end of a retractable keychain.

Clubs are in my equipment section.

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Good topic Stevo. Know what else this place needs? Photos! I don't think we can upload them here, probably have to use a third-party host.

I've had the same stand bag for like three years now, a black Ogio Sticks model. Specifically picked it out because it's light, slim and discreet. Last thing I want while walking around the city or the subway is some colorful, garish, fat, unwieldy bag to attract any more attention than is necessary. Besides the staring there are a lot of creeps around who are just waiting for the slightest curious thing to start up a conversation about.

On top of that when I'm in Brooklyn which is most of the time, I don't really feel that safe about leaving the bag outside for the few minutes I'm inside the pro shop. That's why my beautiful irons are masked with ugly worn lead tape, my beat-up woods are headcover-less and towel is basically a filthy rag. I think one would have to be really hard up or a really hardcore club guy to see my set and want to swipe it.

I like using a slender bag but storage is tough. There's the big pocket which is pretty much filled up with my shoes. A flat pocket for wallet, phone and other small bits. The main pocket holds all the balls, tees and golf junk, but since there's no other room its also where my snacks go, kinda sad.
jfurr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I have some new sticks on order. Did a PING fitting (not just with the local dealer, but the demo fitting van, people from the company) and it was great. Instead of hitting on a mat in a shop into the net (like when I was 'fitted' last time) this time on a real range, off grass but also with the TrackMan monitor and the actual clubs. The guy was handing me all sorts of configurations of clubhead, shafts, lie angles, etc.
jfurr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject:

legitimatebeef wrote:
Know what else this place needs? Photos! I don't think we can upload them here, probably have to use a third-party host.

or you could upload to oob under your "your game" then copy the url and paste in like this:

player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Nike 8.5 driver
Nike 3/5/7 wood
An old 1-iron that my late grandpa gave to me
Cleveland 3-9 irons
Cleveland 54 sand wedge
Nike putter
srogers13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject:

player wrote:
Nike 8.5 driver
Nike 3/5/7 wood
Cleveland 3-9 irons
Cleveland 54 sand wedge
Nike putter

Player, think of the rules, you are only allowed 14 clubs, not 16.
DougE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject:

srogers13 wrote:
player wrote:
Nike 8.5 driver
Nike 3/5/7 wood
Cleveland 3-9 irons
Cleveland 54 sand wedge
Nike putter

Player, think of the rules, you are only allowed 14 clubs, not 16.

No, count again, that's only 14. However, only 1 wedge? Hmmmm. Player must be a master to shoot the scores he says he does with only one wedge. And a 1 iron? What is the benefit of that? Even God can't hit a 1 iron. Of course, by now, it shouldn't surprise me that Player can.
junitog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I have a
Taylormade Burner driver
3 to Pw Tommy Armour 845 about 12 years old
56 Dunlop

player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject:

Driver loft?

falcon50driver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject:

Yes player, the problem is LOFT.... Lack of Freaking Talent.
DougE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject:

No, I think it's more lack of reality, but I like your thinking Merl.

hollywoodtimb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject:

Rocketballz 3 Fairway wood
Burner 07 3 Hybrid
Burner Tour Irons 5 - A
Adams Tom Watson Sand and Lob Wedges
Yes Sophia II putter

Carried in a Nike SQ (now "performance carry") stand bag which is the best bag in the last 5 years IMO.

And before you all ask why no driver, it's because I lose it right too much and my fairway wood goes like 250 so it's as good as my driver and it st Amy's straighter and I feel much more confident over the tee with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: