Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Are the four yards more golf tees legal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Dugini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Are the four yards more golf tees legal?

I was playing with a guy that swears by these tees but they seem suspect to me. Does anyone know the answer as to whether they're legal?

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30051292/greenkeeper-4-yards-more-golf-tee-3-1-4#

bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Some time ago I did a little research on tees. The USGA Rules indicate that a tee is okay as long as it meets 3 criteria:

1. Four inches or less in length (4 yards meets that standard)
2. Does not have a direct influence on the flight of the ball. While the makers of the 4 Yard would like us to believe the tee does have an influence, I believe the USGA means the tee can't come between the clubface and ball (I think they are okay on this point, also).
3. Does not provide a directional or alignment aid (e.g. an arrow or something that would orient the player). From the photos, there is nothing that runs afoul with this point.

Lastly, there are references on the website that the tees have been used in LPGA events. That would further confirm that the tees are conforming.

So I would say you are good to go but don't bank on the extra distance . Wink

Dugini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks much that was a good analysis. To my way of thinking the only certifiable advantage to them would be that they're made of plastic and therefore won't break!

sjduffers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject:

bkuehn1952 wrote:

3. Does not provide a directional or alignment aid (e.g. an arrow or something that would orient the player).

Based on this requirement, would the Zero Friction tees be illegal? They have 3 prongs that can be used for alignment and the recommended method to use them is to line up the front prong towards the target. Yet, they seem to be approved on the PGA Tour and they even sell them with the PGA Tour logo on them...

Or, does the alignment aid have to be on the side of the player (behind the ball), to be considered of any value and therefore illegal?

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Unrelated but I've been using those Oob logo Zero friction tees that I got in a giveaway, I don't think I like them. They are difficult to use when the turf gets a little hard. Plus they're too long, I tend to set it up too high which encourages popups. I realize thats my own fault. I'll give it another try, I'll try pointing the prong at the target.
joe jones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Tees

The only thing these tees do is transfer money from the pocket of the idiots that buy them into the hands of the manufacturer.
As Barnum said. There is a sucker born every day.

bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject:

sjduffers wrote:
bkuehn1952 wrote:

3. Does not provide a directional or alignment aid (e.g. an arrow or something that would orient the player).

Based on this requirement, would the Zero Friction tees be illegal? They have 3 prongs that can be used for alignment and the recommended method to use them is to line up the front prong towards the target. Yet, they seem to be approved on the PGA Tour and they even sell them with the PGA Tour logo on them...

Or, does the alignment aid have to be on the side of the player (behind the ball), to be considered of any value and therefore illegal?

Good question and one that I could only guess at the answer. Anyone else have an idea?

birdieXris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject:

bkuehn1952 wrote:
sjduffers wrote:
bkuehn1952 wrote:

Good question and one that I could only guess at the answer. Anyone else have an idea?

Well, they're used on the PGA tour so i'd say that they're legal. i think the "directional" thing would be if they had an arm or something that literally POINTED the way. Anything on the head of the tee is really not an issue because you can't see it when the ball is on it anyway? At that point it would be easier to line up the line or name on the ball.

player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Yes, they`re legal, and if you disagree with me, I`ll bet ya $50 bucks they`re legal.
DougE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject:

player wrote:
Yes, they`re legal, and if you disagree with me, I`ll bet ya $50 bucks they`re legal.

Tough talk from someone who hides behind the anonymity of the internet, never, ever proving any of the tall tales you spin. I'll bet you 50 bucks you aren't a day over 14 years old! And another 50 bucks that you have never broken 80 without bending the rules. Prove both, to me and the rest of our Oob community, and the cash is waiting. You're up.

sepfeiff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tees

joe jones wrote:
The only thing these tees do is transfer money from the pocket of the idiots that buy them into the hands of the manufacturer.
As Barnum said. There is a sucker born every day.

Zero friction tees are more durable than wood tees IMO. I usually lose them before they break which is why I get the orange ones.

falcon50driver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject:

I use the plastic "Wedge Tee", The bright yellow one, to keep from losing it. I get about six months out of one before I either lose it or forget to pick it up. It sure relieves a lot of clutter from the bag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: