Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Are x-stiff shafts that rarely used?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

mrcgamble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Are x-stiff shafts that rarely used?

First off I live in southwest florida (Ft. Myers area) and have called two local shops, Golf Galaxy, and Golfsmith, and none of these carry DG x-100's or Project x 6.0 shafts.

Back story to this is I have been playing Taylormade RAC TP MB's wtih project x 6.5's and they were fine, recently traded them in on a set of AP2 712's that I knew I would have to get re-shafted, as they had DG R300's in them. Needless to say I will have to either special order them or go with DG s300's, which might not be a bad thing as I am trying to smooth out my swing, but still feel that I need something more stiff. Thinking about ordering KBS stiff but the cost is a bit more than my liking.

I guess my question is are x shafts that rare?

Duke of Hazards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Are x-stiff shafts that rarely used?

mrcgamble wrote:
First off I live in southwest florida (Ft. Myers area) and have called two local shops, Golf Galaxy, and Golfsmith, and none of these carry DG x-100's or Project x 6.0 shafts.

Back story to this is I have been playing Taylormade RAC TP MB's wtih project x 6.5's and they were fine, recently traded them in on a set of AP2 712's that I knew I would have to get re-shafted, as they had DG R300's in them. Needless to say I will have to either special order them or go with DG s300's, which might not be a bad thing as I am trying to smooth out my swing, but still feel that I need something more stiff. Thinking about ordering KBS stiff but the cost is a bit more than my liking.

I guess my question is are x shafts that rare?

Frankly, I wasn't even aware that steel shafts for irons came in x-flex until a couple of days ago until I was researching my dream clubs (MP-59's) on Mizuno's site and saw all of the optional shafts. I might try to go to one of their fittings on a demo day.

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Dude when you wrote earlier that Golfsmith didn't carry them I was like WTF. I should've been more specific--golfsmith.com. They got what you need. Looks like you're going to have to place an order on the internets. Don't be scared. Let us know if you need help.

mrcgamble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject:

yea, legitimate, I was hoping that local golfsmith carried them and could have them done within the week. Golfsmith can order them for me its just the timeline. Off work on thursday and friday and will have to make a trip down there and see what the timeline would be.
Dusty23

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject:

I see alot of Pros with X Stiff shafts but it's always followed by the clubhead speed they generate.
I would guess for most of us here on this site that we're not creating that kind of speed, so yeah X stiff would be rare, but if you are, why not.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject:

Ya...I've played with maybe 3 or 4 people who generate the type of swing speed that woudl require an extra stiff shaft in my life. These are guys that can hit the ball 340 yards.

mrcgamble

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I dont hit the ball 340 or even 300 for that matter, I do however have a very fast tempo (my swing speed is not tour speed, its more of a tempo thing). Previously played project x 6.5's and compairson chart shows DG x-100's as comprable.

sepfeiff

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:

A shaft is as more about feel and result than it is swing speed. Hitting several different shafts should give you a better idea of the "feel" you prefer in your own swing. Balls, grips, gloves, shoes and the lot are chosen more from feel than any other factor... why should your shafts be any different? If you have time or motivation to try a bunch of different shafts on a launch monitor then you will likely be rewarded with better fitting equipment for your swing and thus better results.

FYI from the Golfsmith website if we are discussing speed and flex.

Shaft Flex Extra-Stiff
Swing Speed (mph) 105 +
Carry Distance (yards) 260 +
Club from 150 yards 8 or 9-iron

Shaft Flex Stiff
Swing Speed (mph) 90-105
Carry Distance (yards) 260 +
Club from 150 yards 6 or 7-iron

Shaft Flex Regular
Swing Speed (mph) 80-95
Carry Distance (yards) 210-240
Club from 150 yards 5 or 6-iron

Shaft Flex Flexible (A-Flex)
Swing Speed (mph) 70-85
Carry Distance (yards) 180-210
Club from 150 yards 4-iron

Shaft Flex Ladies
Swing Speed (mph) Less than 70
Carry Distance (yards) Less than 180
Club from 150 yards 3-iron/lofted wood

jrbizzle

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Lots of good info here, also some people might choose a stiffer flex, because they prefer a lower ball flight. If you're a 7 handicap, I'm guessing you know your game pretty well. Hope you find 'em for a good price!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: