Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Laying down your club on the flagstick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Laying down your club on the flagstick

I decided a while ago that if you're going to rest your club on the flagstick so that you won't forget it on the green, then I'm going to let you replace the flag. Sorry. I would rather not have to touch your club.
Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject:

lol...I agree totally. This is one of my mini-annoyances.
bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject:

I never really thought about this aspect. I have placed clubs on the flagstick and I can see where it does get a bit complicated when several clubs are involved. Unless it involves a long walk or it is my turn to play, I try to replace clubs in my bag, which is typically greenside when I am walking.

When handling another player's club, I never touch the grip, just the shaft near the business end of the club.
Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject:

The issue is...say I hole out first. My first step is to make sure I have all of my clubs, and my second step is to go grab the flagstick. I put a slightly higher priority on making sure that I don't leave any clubs behind. It is extremely annoying if I'm already carrying several clubs to have to pick up someone else's clubs too.

If I'm in a cart, and I have to walk all the way across the green to get to my ball that is not on the green, I will carry my putter and all of my wedges over to make absolutely certain that I have the right club without having to walk back.

jev

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject:

You'ld rather not "touch my clubs"? What a strange guy you are, really...

mjaber

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject:

bkuehn1952 wrote:
the shaft near the business end

I'd rather not touch another guys shaft...
KeithH

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject:

I had not given it much thought but I see your point and agree with you. When I go to the green with more than just a putter I always take two irons. I found it is a lot easier to notice I have two clubs missing when I get back to my bag instead of just one. I will also try to always lay them on the green (out of the way) and not in the rough. Most often people forget their wedge when they think they are going to chip but then decide they can putt from the fringe and lay their wedge down in the rough. If you make a really good or really bad putt you often quickly walk after it and forget all about that wedge. I found if I lay them on the green or make a big X with two irons, I or someone else in my foursome is more likely to see them before I leave the green.
Werepuppie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject:

I always lay my club on the flagstick so I remember it.I never even thought that this might bother someone.

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject:

KeithH wrote:
I had not given it much thought but I see your point and agree with you. When I go to the green with more than just a putter I always take two irons. I found it is a lot easier to notice I have two clubs missing when I get back to my bag instead of just one. I will also try to always lay them on the green (out of the way) and not in the rough. Most often people forget their wedge when they think they are going to chip but then decide they can putt from the fringe and lay their wedge down in the rough. If you make a really good or really bad putt you often quickly walk after it and forget all about that wedge. I found if I lay them on the green or make a big X with two irons, I or someone else in my foursome is more likely to see them before I leave the green.

good stuff.

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Werepuppie wrote:
I always lay my club on the flagstick so I remember it.I never even thought that this might bother someone.

It doesn't bother me. Cool
Dusty23

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject:

If I have to take more than a putter to the green, I always will put the other club down on the green, out of the way, so that it is between the hole and where I will exit the green, that way I will always see it as I leave.

Duke of Hazards

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I will generally toss/lob my wedge back towards my bag so that it's laying there next to it when I arrive back with my putter. I've never seen anyone else toss their clubs around, but I figure I'm not hurting the clubs and it saves me some time in walking all the way back to the bag. I started doing this after a few instances of leaving the club behind, haven't forgotten one since.

To be clear, I walk towards my bag until I'm approximately 10 yards away before my underhand lob, not chucking them overhand across the green like some maniac.

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Dusty23 wrote:
If I have to take more than a putter to the green, I always will put the other club down on the green, out of the way, so that it is between the hole and where I will exit the green, that way I will always see it as I leave.

Pure genius.
Bryan K

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Duke of Hazards wrote:
I will generally toss/lob my wedge back towards my bag so that it's laying there next to it when I arrive back with my putter. I've never seen anyone else toss their clubs around, but I figure I'm not hurting the clubs and it saves me some time in walking all the way back to the bag. I started doing this after a few instances of leaving the club behind, haven't forgotten one since.

To be clear, I walk towards my bag until I'm approximately 10 yards away before my underhand lob, not chucking them overhand across the green like some maniac.

I usually like to hurl mine like a tomohawk, trying to get the business end to stab into the ground so that I don't have to bend down to pick it up.

Of course, I'm kidding. I spend too much money on my clubs to toss them around.

Earlier this year, about two weeks ago, I saw a bloke try to toss his club back to his bag only to have it stick to his hand just a little bit too long. It went hurtling into the water hazard a few feet away in slow motion with the theme to Chariots of Fire playing in the background. It was a Vokey, too. Needless to say, he didn't finish the round with us. He went swimming instead.

mjaber

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Dusty23 wrote:

I do the same, only I usually try to leave it on the fringe, along with my putter head cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Etiquette All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: