Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Strange 'bottom groove' high spin shot

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

williamhawk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Strange 'bottom groove' high spin shot

Hello Guys,

I keep hitting an iron shot into greens (by accident) that looks like it should be dreadful but consistently ends up being great. My playing partner and I were discussing whether it is just a fluke that keeps on happening or if it is something that I should be trying to figure out how to hit consistently. (He is getting dejected because he initially thinks I've topped the ball only to see it land perfectly on the green!)

My approach into the 18th on my last round is a perfect example. 150 yds out so I took an 8 iron. I hit the shot and it felt like I was hitting up on the ball making contact on the bottom grooves. The ball came out with a much lower trajectory and an audible 'fizz'. Landed on the green at exactly 150 yds and stopped in one bounce.

It is almost the exact opposite feeling to when I try to hit a low trajectory high spinning wedge shot but the result is similar (in fact the accident shot feels a bit better). If you asked me to play this type of shot I would have the ball a bit further back and hit down dragging the handle forward feeling like I'm trapping the ball. With the accidental shot I definitely feel like I'm almost hitting up but making contact with the bottom of the face.

Am I just getting random good luck or is this a shot worth chasing?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
- https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93580-strange-bottom-groove-high-spin-shot/
- Product Video Cost Examples.

bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

You know Bill, it is okay to call you Bill, right, I get the sneaking suspicion that you are less interested in that spinning wedge hit than you are in tricking people to click on your link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Golf Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: