Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Is it time for a hybrid change? Help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

DougE

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Is it time for a hybrid change? Help!

I have been playing two Nike CPR3 hybrids since they came out around 2005. I hit them extremely well, both from the fairway and off the tee. I have good confidence standing over them. If you are not familiar with them, they have a different look than most newer hybrids. They don't look like a small wood, as many of today's hybrids do. Even though I hit them well, the technology advances in hybrids over the last 5 years have been huge. So, I have been researching hybrids for the past 6 or 8 months in hopes of replacing them. But, frankly, I am so used to the look of the Nikes that I can't seem to feel good about any other hybrid, no matter what hype I read. And, I've read it all. I go to Golf Galaxy and stand over every hybrid, but nothing does it for me. (Golf is such a mental game.) Hitting each in the cage tells me little. I need to try them in real play situations, or at the very least on a grass range. Does anyone demo new clubs anymore? Golf Galaxy does not. My pro shop does not. (Golfer's Warehouse did, but they closed their store in the area.) How do I find a hybrid that will make me as comfortable as my old Nikes. Maybe I should just keep playing the Nikes, but I have to believe I am missing out on some great new technology. On the other hand, just last week, I hit my old Nike CPR hybrid 3 off the tee of a 195 yard par 3 and landed it 6 feet from the pin. Why would I want to change it?

There's a new hybrid being launched later this month from Adams that's next on my list, called the Idea Black Super Hybrid. It looks very appealing in pics, from what I've seen. And, Adams has proven itself to be the hybrid king on tour. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy it if I like the way it looks in person. Then "learn" to love it like I do my old Nike CPRs. I'm so confused. Any advice other than to go see a shrink?

falcon50driver

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject:

I think the right clubs are a lot more important now than I used to. I played my first round of golf about 5 or 6 years ago with a bag of stuff I bought from a pawn shop for $100. My theory was, It's not the arrow, It's the Indian. The bag had all the things you'd expect to find in one recently stolen. Glove, tees, balls, wristwatch, handfull of change. Never had a lesson, but seem to play better with each new club. The Burner driver helped a lot. I'm looking for a hybrid now too, I guess. I need something for the 180 yard shot. I'm finding out to be a really good Indian requires good arrows too. Sorry I don't have a specific one to suggest. Let me know what you discover.

OldGuyAce

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject:

A lot can change in 5 years. I play the Cobra Baffler and I love them but they are the originals that first came out and there have been 2 changes to the Baffler since then. I plan on getting the newest ones when I can afford them and probably a 3rd one. Gonna stick with the Baffler.

kingwood hacker

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject:

Edwin Watts demos clubs. You just have to put your credit card down, and they let you demo the club for a week.
DougE

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Re:

kingwood hacker wrote:
Edwin Watts demos clubs. You just have to put your credit card down, and they let you demo the club for a week.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, they have no stores up here in the northeast. Doubt they will UPS one to me, but it might be worth a try.

kingwood hacker

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject:

We have a locally owned golf shop here that will let you demo a club for a day or two. I would even ask at golfsmith or golf galaxy. I'm sure it's not the first time someone has asked.

mjaber

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject:

My local driving range/golf shop (Whirlaway Golf & Sports Center in Methuen, MA) lets you demo new clubs on the range (either grass, when it's open, or off the mats). They even sell the "demo's" at a discount once they are discontinued.

I wonder if the pro shop at your course would let you take a club or 2 with you on your next round.

mjaber

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject:

The Golf Warehouse (TGW.com) offers a 30-day "playability" guarantee. There's some fine print, and it appears you only get in-store credit, but if you're definately getting a new club and you just want to try a few, it might be a way to go.

greendevil

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject:

If I were you DougE, I would not be looking to replace your Nike CPR hybrid. I would look at replacing those other clubs in your bag in which you do not have the same confidence nor hit extremely well.

It sounds like your hybrid could be your favorite club in the bag and the one in which you know, without a shadow of a doubt, you will hit the shot you want when you need to.

Can you say the same about every other club?
DougE

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re:

greendevil wrote:
If I were you DougE, I would not be looking to replace your Nike CPR hybrid. I would look at replacing those other clubs in your bag in which you do not have the same confidence nor hit extremely well.

It sounds like your hybrid could be your favorite club in the bag and the one in which you know, without a shadow of a doubt, you will hit the shot you want when you need to.

Can you say the same about every other club?

Actually, greendevil, I respectfully disagree. There is only one club in my bag in which I lack confidence and that is my 3W, which I hit well more often than not, but some days it just doesn't work well. Otherwise, I love my Titleist 755 forged irons, Vokey Wedges and Callaway FTiQ Driver. I am very confident in all of them. It's just my 3W that gives me the willys, and only some days, as I said. I'm actually quite confident in my swing and ball striking in general. That doesn't mean I'm satified. I'm always working to improve. I just don't want to go backward. And, I'm afraid a different looking hybrid, most of which, today, look like small 3Ws (my nemisis), might test my confidence, ultimately moving me in the wrong direction.

greendevil

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject:

Okay DougE, I now completely understand your situation and you having difficulties making a decision here. A big part of playing good golf is the confidence factor; so you will definitely need to have clubs in your bag which breed confidence.

I hope you get some good advice, purchase a hybrid that is perfect for you, and improve your game. Best of luck to you.

mjaber

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject:

I was curious what the look of the CPR was. After finding a pic (after a bit of hunting), you may want to simply look at a slightly newer version. The Nike SQ has a very similar look to it.

The new Cleveland Lanucher DST is probably close as well.
DougE

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Re:

mjaber wrote:
I was curious what the look of the CPR was. After finding a pic (after a bit of hunting), you may want to simply look at a slightly newer version. The Nike SQ has a very similar look to it.

The new Cleveland Lanucher DST is probably close as well.

Thanks. I have already checked both out and you are right, they both have a look less like a fairway wood. Unfortunately, they still look a lot more woodsie than the CPR. Adams seems to make hybrids that look the least like fairway woods, so I'm leaning that way now. Either the A7 or the new, not yet released, Idea Black Super Hybrid, coming out later this month. Though the new Black Super looks more woodsie than the rest of the Adams line from the few photos I've seen, the reviews are glowing. So I will try it out with a positive mind set and hope for the best.

In the meantime, my CPRs are my security blanket. Thanks again Mjaber

SingleDigits

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject:

DougE: check out the Bobby Jones hybrids. They're not that "wood-like" in fact they have a bit of the old tri-metal look (same designer). I swear by them. Great from the fairway, tight lies or rough.

Matt F

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject:

DougE,

What about the Cobra Baffler? Doesn't look like a wood at address at all.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> New sticks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: