Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Getting hit by a golf ball....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Bryan K

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Getting hit by a golf ball....

What is the proper etiquette after getting hit by a golf ball?

I was on number four at Prairiewood yesterday, which is about a 500 yard par 5 with a giant tree in the middle of the fairway about 100 yards short of the green. I had gotten my second shot just past the tree, and I was licking my chops thinking about how easy par was going to be from there. As I was just beginning my forward swing on my approach, I heard "thump" then THWACK right into the back of my right thigh. The ball karomed off my leg into the grove of trees to my right.

After dancing around the fairway like a wounded chicken for about two minutes, I finally limped up to my ball and finished the hole with an adrenaline laced triple bogey.

And this was after I offered to let the threesome behind me play with me twice, since I was just a single.

Short of calling the clubhouse, what would be the proper course of action at that point?

Yeah...my thigh is killing me today. I have a perfectly round dark purple spot on the back of my left leg. I hope it heals before we make our trip to Florida in a couple of weeks. I'm so looking forward to showing off my new speedo.

activesense

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject:

Traditionally, the correct way to respond to being hit by a ball is to immediately stop whatever you are doing and rush one or both of your hands to the area of impact followed by loud cursing and hopping around like a wounded chicken. Once the shock of impact has subsided, the target should then look back down the course to identify the person responsible for the perfectly struck shot and begin moving towards them in preparation for the congratulatory breaking of a club over his/her head.
There is the optional throwing of the ball which hit you. This can be either a lateral, into the rough throw, or a back down the fairway throw, but remember to never advance the players ball towards the green, as this will incur a 2 stroke penalty.

ipv6freely

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject:

I dont know why you said "short of calling the clubhouse"... since that would absolutely be the first thing I'd do. Well, after throwing their ball into the closest pond, that is.

Here's a suggestion for everyone out there - have the clubhouse phone number stored in your phone.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject:

You know...I called the clubhouse once before last summer at Prairiewood after I saw a kid spike his putter into one of the greens. It was a pretty "I feel stupid right now" moment, so I'm guessing that the biggest deterrent to me not calling the clubhouse was not wanting to sound stupid. The other thing that sucks is that this early in the spring, they have no ranger on duty.

ipv6freely

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject:

You shouldn't feel stupid for reporting that kind of thing. If it keeps that nonsense off our courses, so be it.

GlennC66

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject:

the last time I was hit from the group behind me, I was lucky enough that it was a soft hit after a couple of bounces. I was also lucky enough to keep my cool and remember advice given to me that I will never forget, and passed it along to the guy who came up and aplogized nicely: Don't ever put yourself into a position where you have to feel badly about a great shot. Read that one again, and remember it! If you hit it perfectly, and it might get into the next group, that's a great time to wait. You don't want to have to feel like a jerk for hitting a career shot.

greendevil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting hit by a golf ball....

bjohn13 wrote:
After dancing around the fairway like a wounded chicken for about two minutes

Man! I can't help but laugh from picturing a guy (especially one of my buddies) doing this on the course.

I am glad you're okay bjohn.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Well, the story actually gets better, GD. I was playing behind a foursome of tweens who were laughing at me on the next tee box. They were just close enough so I could hear them. It made it really tough to get angry with them pointing and laughing at me. At any rate, the next hole was a par 3 which is followed by a long par 4. I pushed my tee shot just a little bit on the par 3, and I was just off the first cut in the deep rough on the right side of the green, which is the side closest to the next tee box. Unfortunately, as I limped to my ball, a rather large goose came out of nowhere and landed next to my ball. He didn't take any interest in the ball, but he most certainly took a keen interest in me. Every time I went up to try to address the ball, he'd hiss and snap at me. Let's just say that we got into a little argument. Even though he made me look like a dufus because I couldn't put any pressure on my right leg, and I was sufficiently nervous about his presence to jump away every time he snapped at me, I think I got the better of him when I told him how good his mother tasted at the dinner table the night before. That was actually one of the more pleasant comments I had for him. Now I don't speak goose, but I'm pretty sure that his comments directed at me were no more sociable than the ones I had for him. I would have just hit him with my club, but I didn't want animal rights people on my ass. So I finally ended up just taking a wild stroke and hopping away as quickly as possible. Of course, then he flew away. In the time it took me to two-putt for bogey, the group of kids on the next tee box were all still literally rolling around on the ground clutching their sides in agony. Needless to say, they let me play through.

At least I could be entertaining.

greendevil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject:

That's a great story bjohn. Once again you have me laughing. I too think my sides would be split if I were those kids.

That's good stuff.

I'm still laughing.

I think you ought to post this in the jokes forum; it's that good.

birdieXris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject:

OMG i'm literally crying, i've been laughing so hard. To answer the question posted though, the correct course of etiquette would be to mention something to the people that hit you. Politely tell them that you were struck by their shot and (had they not called out) you didn't hear their "fore". Mention that they should yell louder next time, as i'm sure they'll say "well we all yelled", because the purpose is not just to yell, but to sound a warning. IF they persist in being A$$clowns about it, then just call the clubhouse and explain the situation and your conversation with the people.

Not EVERY situation is a reason to call the clubhouse because lets face it... there's upwards of 60 people on a packed course if not more with little white spheres flying everywhere. It's amazing MORE people aren't hit by errant shots and bounces. If they were consistently hitting into you, though, that's a whole 'nother story. I'd have them kicked off.

Little story of my own, i was playing on a local course and the 16th green is elevated about 30 feet and to the right of the 15th tee box. It's also blind to the tee box with a tall tree on the right of 15, 16 can see 15 tee but not vice verse. So i'm playing with a couple guys and hit my tee shot.It starts left of the tree and we all lose it in the sky (hazy day). We never heard it hit anything and we had no reason to believe it had. Over the hill comes this rather irate guy yelling and cursing up a storm. I dont' know if it hit him or not (later found out it didn't when i went to get my ball). I tried to apologize profusely as i explained that we had no idea it even came close. He cared less and continued to spout obscenities and threats for another 5 minutes so loud they could probably hear it at the clubhouse so i told him to F' off. Apparently he'd "been to prison before" and "wasn't afraid to go back". I walked up to my ball which they had conveniently placed on a large rock next to the green and proceeded to hit it from there onto the 15th green. I apologized again to the guy and said he needs to settle down. two of his buddies were apparently with him on this and the third guy told me what happened. It apparently hit the one branch farthest from the green (closest to 15 fairway) and came up onto the green. Didn't hit or come close to anyone but the guy was upset we didn't yell "fore". Whatever. ALWAYS yell. even if it's not close and especially if you lose sight of it. I was almost killed over it by what was apparently a drunk ex-con with an anger management issue. Yea golf is a great sport for him.

I'ev also been hit 9 times in my life, but those are other stories.

greendevil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject:

birdieXris wrote:

9 times? You're one unlucky son of a gun.

What was the most painful?

birdieXris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:

greendevil wrote:
birdieXris wrote:

haha, i've been swinging for 24 years. That's a lot of time.

Most painful would have to be the shank that hit me in the left pec on Bethlehem's 9 hole course as i was walking to the tee from 7. Thankfully 8 was a par 3, but the distance was short between the green and tee so there was nowhere to go. It was a busy day and since 5 runs right along the back of 8 tee box, you just kind of go right to the tee. Walking off the green at 7 i caught "Fore" just in time to see the heel shank of the guy on 8 coming right at me. The only thing i could do was cover my face and start to turn. caught it angled in the chest about an inch and a half above the nipple. I'm lucky i didn't break a rib. IF it hit me square i think it might have gone right through me. HAHAHA. i laugh about it now but i was kinda pissed then.

The majority of my near death experiences have come on that course. Anyone who's played the Executive course at bethlehem knows it's laid out pretty compact and invites people of all varieties to play. Chances of catching an errant shot there are probably 10x higher than any other course.

greendevil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject:

birdieXris wrote:
greendevil wrote:
birdieXris wrote:

Most painful would have to be the shank that hit me in the left pec

I bet that left one massive bruise. I'm so thankful for never having been hit.

birdieXris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject:

greendevil wrote:
birdieXris wrote:
greendevil wrote:
birdieXris wrote:

Most painful would have to be the shank that hit me in the left pec

I bet that left one massive bruise. I'm so thankful for never having been hit.

the mark was around for a while, yea. LOL.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject:

I've been hit one other time, and that was much, much more painful. It was at a local course that no longer exists called Town and Country. It was a very small, compact executive course put out on a square parcel of land. There were no trees (except by the river), and there were two par 4's that were actually 300+ yards. The rest of the course was extreme pitch 'n' putt. So people would use their drivers on the par 4's despite the fact that there was nowhere to bail. It was on the fourth hole where I was lining up to chip the ball up to the green when I was hit in the shin with someone's drive. It didn't bounce first either. This one didn't riccochet off, either. It hit my shin and went straight into the ground. I was about 15 then, and I had a bit of a hot head, so I sent it sailing back at the guy. Of course, my pitching wedge (my shortest club at the time) didn't have the same 275 yards of distance on it that he had hit it. I finished the round without thinking anything of it, but I woke up the next morning with what looked like a golf ball (dimples and all) portruding out of my leg. I couldn't put any pressure on it for about three days, and since i was a kid, I didn't go to a doctor.

Let's just say I hope to never get hit again.

But I have a new question. If I was in a competition and was hit by another competitor from behind me, would there be any penalty to the player behind me? Or if I was in the middle of the shot (and messed up my shot as a result), would there be any compensation?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Etiquette All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: