Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

New vs. Used vs. Clearance

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

mjaber

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: New vs. Used vs. Clearance

I've been shopping around for clubs, since I want to fill out my bag and replace some of my current stuff.

I've looked at different places online, my local shops, ebay, craigslist, etc.

I'm trying to figure out if I should hold off and always buy new (hybrids specifically), or if a good used model is a better route. If the hybrid is a couple years old, but significantly less expensive than a new one, is it worth it?

Also, as I'm shopping for just about everything (except driver, putter and 48* wedge), I'm curious what everyone thinks about buying "older" new irons. Has the tech changed that much in the last 2-3 years that I should stick with current models?
DougE

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I was about to buy a new set of Titleist AP2 irons. Convinced myself they were my next set of irons and started doing a bunch more research. Since I was coming from Cleveland CG4s, a very nice game improvement iron, I was a little concerned that jumping up to the AP2s, a high skilled players club, might be too dramatic a change. So, thought maybe I should try something similar, but used and inexpensive, to get the feel of a players club and see if I could be comfortable with them, without spending a thousand bucks. So, I shopped Ebay and found a very nice set of 3-year old Titleist 755 forged irons for under $200. I had them regripped to my liking and started using them in February. I really don't think I am giving up a thing, even though they are 3-4 year old technology. I hit them much better than my CG4s and I have gained lots of confidence in my iron play. I am now in no hurry to purchase a new set of AP2s for $999. I can't imagine they can be that much better than my 755s, especially since my confidence level is so high in the 755s.

So, my advice to you is to locate some 2-3 year old club sets you think you might like. Do some research on them and determine which set seems to fit your requirements, purchase them and hope for the best. You can get a top notch used set of quality irons for under $300. Just make sure when searching to find a set with shafts that will work for you and your swing. Then have them regripped to your preferred size and style, which will cost between $50 and $75. Hopefully, in the end, you'll save hundreds of dollars and get a set of clubs that is in excellent condition and is only a couple years old. The technology does not change THAT much in that short a timespan.
srogers13

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject:

My opinion is, unless you are a scratch golfer or close, or just have a bunch of cash to burn, that you really would not notice that much difference in a set of irons with 2 year old technology. Last month, I bought a set of new Taylor Made R7 irons for $300, and I love them. I am about a 15 base, and am sure most of my problems are not club related. And spending an extra $400 on irons right now would not help my game enough to be worth the extra money.

SingleDigits

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject:

I echo those sentiments. 2 yrs ago I bought a set of demo Taylormade forged musclebacks with project X shafts (5.5) for $250 and couldn't have been more pleased.

After getting new grips, you could even take them to a pro shop or Golf Galaxy, etc., for loft & lie adjustment (adding length is difficult and can upset the swing weight).

Some notes of caution. I'd stay away from used wedges since it's all about the spin and used wedges have all the life used out of them. If buying irons on eBay or Craigslist, get super sharp, up-close pictures of each face to gauge the wear -- and avoid clubs with too much wear.

Finally, if you buy new 2010 irons realize that the groove rule applies to any club with more then 23 degrees of loft, so new 2010 irons won't have the box grooves.

mjaber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject:

Finally got my irons.

Last years model- Cobra S2- $300.

Even had enough in gift cards left over for a new headcover and a new xFT 56* wedge.

Now I need to replace my cracked R5, and I'm looking to add a fairway. I'd like to match the Driver and FW, and I'm thinking R9. Demo'd the R9 Super Tri, and I loved it, but I couldn't justify the $300 for it, since I just paid the same amount for 8 clubs.

I'm keeping an eye out on the "used" sites to see if I can pick one up cheap.
DougE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject:

mjaber wrote:
Finally got my irons.

Last years model- Cobra S2- $300.

Even had enough in gift cards left over for a new headcover and a new xFT 56* wedge.

Now I need to replace my cracked R5, and I'm looking to add a fairway. I'd like to match the Driver and FW, and I'm thinking R9. Demo'd the R9 Super Tri, and I loved it, but I couldn't justify the $300 for it, since I just paid the same amount for 8 clubs.

I'm keeping an eye out on the "used" sites to see if I can pick one up cheap.

Mjaber, have you tried Global Golf? If not, do so. I have bought some excellent used clubs through them over the years and been completely satisfied. I just checked their site (www.globalgolf.com) and they presently have a few different R9s available at prices between $150 and $260, depending on shaft and condition. I have bought clubs from them that were advertised as "very good" condition that looked like they were new.

mjaber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks DougE... I'll check into it.

I'm not sure the wife will go for dropping more money on clubs just now, though.

I've got an R5 from a friend for now. Exactly the same club... only my head cover was cleaner Wink

mjaber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Had another of my brilliant ideas today.

Maybe I'll look at buying a new R5 head, and just put the new head on the old shaft of my cracked R5.

I've started shopping Ebay for R5 TP heads.

Could be interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> New sticks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: