Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Another Swing to Critique
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

greendevil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Another Swing to Critique

Hey everyone, I've finally captured my golf swing on video. Take a look at it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G9onl5NYlk and let me know why I'm hitting my driver so poorly. It seems that I'm always either hitting a slice or a pull; never a good, solid straight ball. Is this because my swing is off plane? I could be wrong, and tell me if I am, but it appears my swing is too upright. Shouldn't the butt of my driver be pointing at the ball during my back and down swing?

What do you think? All constructive criticism is appreciated. I've been fighting my slice forever and I'm really ready to straighten my drives out.

Thanks,

Brion

TravisMiller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I am not an expert, but I notice that your practice swings are nice and easy and smooth, but when you step up to hit the ball your weight shift is jerky and looks out of control. I don't know if this is you trying to hit the ball hard or not but just a quick observation

bducharm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Couple of quick observations - I would have you improve your posture a bit. Stand a touch closer to the ball so your arms hang a bit more naturally. Less of a rounded back, try to make your back flatter. Focus on keeping your head still and behind the ball. The previous post about your practice swings are correct. Make your real swing more like your practice swing. Think 75%...

Hope these help.

greendevil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject:

TravisMiller wrote:
I am not an expert, but I notice that your practice swings are nice and easy and smooth, but when you step up to hit the ball your weight shift is jerky and looks out of control. I don't know if this is you trying to hit the ball hard or not but just a quick observation

Hey Travis, I've been told multiple times that I have a good practice swing; even my swing is more on plane. But for some reason when I go to hit the ball, I tend to, I guess, overswing and make more of an outside-in swing. I think this part of my game will have to be developed as I just can't seem to make myself swing at 75% or 80% and make a good inside-out swing.

greendevil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject:

bducharm wrote:
Couple of quick observations - I would have you improve your posture a bit. Stand a touch closer to the ball so your arms hang a bit more naturally. Less of a rounded back, try to make your back flatter. Focus on keeping your head still and behind the ball. The previous post about your practice swings are correct. Make your real swing more like your practice swing. Think 75%...

Hope these help.

Yeah, I knew my posture wasn't the best. I'll definitely work on this.

As far as standing closer to the ball, it doesn't feel comfortable to me; it makes me feel cramped. How do you think I will benefit from standing closer to the ball? I'm definitely open to all suggestions so if you feel I would benefit from this, then I'm going to give it a shot.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject:

Just a few ideas...

Posture: My 11 year old nephew put it best. When you address the ball, it should feel like you're trying to take a dump. I'm not sure how else to put it because he is exactly right. One thing that helped me a great deal...take your club and put one end of it against the base of your neck. Let it hang freely. The other end should touch the base of your spine. If it doesn't, try to make it. And then get used to that feeling.

Distance to the ball: bducharm hit the nail on the head. You're standing too far from the ball, and your arms are all stretched out. It's hard to make good contact like that. The thing that helped my swing more than anything else was learning to keep my arms in tight to my body. You want to generate power with your back muscles...not your arm muscles. When you keep your arms tight to your body, it kind of forces your back muscles to do the work. However, even more importantly, if your arms are thrust out at impact, your natural motion is to bring them in on your follow-through (and your follow through is extemely nice). This causes an outside-in swinging motion, and guess what? It will cause a slice. In my experience, it's a pretty nasty one, too. So unless you want to work on a follow through that's way outside your body (and extremely uncomfortable), try to keep both arms in tight. Your elbows should atually be touching your sides throughout the swing. And generate your power with your back muscles. And this will lead to the third point.

Rotation: I notice that you are barely using your shoulders in your swing. It looks like all of the power is coming from your arms. Your follow-through is great. It's the backswing where I think you could benefit from using your shoulders more.

jev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject:

It is a bit hard to see, but it looks like you've got a slightly closed stance but your shoulders are open. That's a good recepy to either generate a slice or a hook. It looks a bit awkward, like you're stretching your front leg when you're hitting the ball, actually moving the belvis away from the targetline.

A slice though can have many causes. Swingplane out-to-in in is one, but I've seen people cupping, weak gripping and not releasing, all resulting in slice. We can't see those things in your video.

Cupping: try to put a long tee between your watch (assuming you wear one on the left wrist) so that it sticks out to your hand. If you feel it sticking into the back of your hand during the swing (especially in the top of your backswing) chances are you are cupping (that might explain the rotation in the clubhead too!).

Weak grip: when addressing, can you see two or three knuckles from the left hand?

Release: don't overdo it but try a swing (on the DR) keeping your hands on the right of the targetline.

greendevil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject:

Okay, so I guess my swing is pretty ugly after all. You guys have given me so many things to work on, but I do know that I must start with posture and stance.

Here's another video; this one from the fronthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTe6pERRyw. Take a look and let me know if there's something else I need to work on.

By the way, I hit a bad slice and only about 200 yards on the video posted above. But at least it made it across the pond unlike the 1st video I posted.

birdieXris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject:

redsfan15 wrote:
Okay, so I guess my swing is pretty ugly after all. You guys have given me so many things to work on, but I do know that I must start with posture and stance.

Here's another video; this one from the fronthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTe6pERRyw. Take a look and let me know if there's something else I need to work on.

By the way, I hit a bad slice and only about 200 yards on the video posted above. But at least it made it across the pond unlike the 1st video I posted.

First thing i said is "wow that ball is way out of position". Forget everything you've been thinking about before and fix that. having a ball that far back and out of position will make you do things that are -- well, very bad for the well-being of your tee shot. For the driver, the ball shouldn't be more than maybe an inch or two behind your left instep (behind being toward your right foot). In your video, that's a sand-wedge placement for the driver. right now it looks like this for you:

| o | (target -->) and it should be more like | o|

Obviously the ball is in front of you not right in your foot-line but you get the idea. I'm going to record my swing today when i go to practice and i'll post it on youtube as well for critique. I'm not a pro, but i do hit it 310 and within 2 yards of the fairway if it's not in so i'm ok with my confidence that it's pretty good. Smile It always helps to see it.
If only i could putt--- anyway....

Make your stance just a touch wider than your shoulders with the driver. This is because you want a more solid base to hit the ball longer. Second, move that ball just off your instep. With woods - driver especially - you want to hit just after the "bottom" of the swing. This will propel the ball out and up. You don't get much spin on the driver so the ball is less inclined to climb like a well struck iron shot. Lastly, make sure you're releasing the club. Especially with the driver, people get too sidetracked with the "impact position" and try to hold that angle or "hit through" the ball, causing them to leave the clubface open in an attempt to steer the ball strait. It seems like that's what you're trying to do based on the other video from the side -- which explains why your practices are so good and when you hit the ball it slices and looks awkward. Just release it. You'll get more power and a straiter ball flight. Maybe even a little draw.

Once you fix that you'll find it much easier hit your driver. Your weight shift will be better because you'll be moving through to a forward ball position and not hanging back to hit a ball that's too far back in the stance. I even noticed a mark after you hit the ball that was about 3 inches in front of the tee- that's either your driver head making it through or the ball hitting the ground. Both very bad. I hope this helps.

greendevil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject:

Hey, thanks chris. I never noticed that mark in front of the tee before; that's scary to think that I've been hitting down on the ball with my driver this whole time. No wonder I'm so bad with my driver.

So now I have three things to work on: posture, widen stance and stand closer to ball, and place ball only a couple inches from my left instep.

I can't wait to see your video chris; show me how it's done.

thanks.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Just to elaborate a bit on what Chris said, the ball placement you have is going to promote a push because you're striking the ball before you hit the apex of your swing.

But I think that instead of just standing closer to the ball, you should line up with your elbows tight in against your side and see where that puts the clubhead. I could see on the second video that you were still really reaching for the ball. I also notice your shoulder rotation more in the second video, and it's good. In fact, you have a lot of flexibility up there, but I'm not so sure about your waist. For my swing (and I don't know if this is correct, but it's currently working), the chain of events that starts my forward sing begins at my waist. In fact, I'm still bringing the club back with my shoulders when I start my waist forward. It's one of the tips I heard the golf pro at Rose Crek give one of his students a few weeks back when I was hitting balls on the range. That little trigger point in my swing has done wonders for my tempo, if nothing else. I don't hit it 300 yards like Chris does, but I've been hitting fairways consistently at 225 to 250, and I've just started to work on my swing speed.

birdieXris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject:

OK as promised. A couple notes: i have a flatter swing than average. It's just the way i do it. Ray Floyd meets Sergio Garcia. LOL. So don't do as i do, but you can pick up the gist of what's going on. Secondly, the strait on angle had a very low camera because i didn't have my proper tripod, so it looks WAAAAAY flatter than normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adamc5zscks

So, note the ball position. It's just off the Left instep. My shoulders are tilted just a bit (right being lower). My hand position is a little bit bent. Ideally you're looking for more of a strait line down your left arm to the clubhead. This isn't bad though.
As i take the club back, notice how wide the arc is. I'm not "picking" the head up, i'm turning backward and taking the club with me. At the top, i'm entirely too long in this video - past parallel. One of the things i've been working on is making the swing shorter. Short is ok - as long as your tempo remains good.
Downswing is started by the lower body and look at how far inside the arc the clubhead is now. The wrist cock is held held held until just before impact where it releases through and my arms are strait at about 4:00. Follow through with weight to the left side and belt pointed at the target. No sliding, just turning.

From back. target is the last sign on the right. The camera is just right of the target line so it looks like i'm lined up a little right. Sorry, it was sunny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQX3Dnxt-Q

Same thing. Notice everything working together. Weight is through and you can see nothing but my back and the bottom of my feet when the swing is done. I had a slight over the top move today. Wasn't a good swinging day but it'll do. just a little pull and fade. The good news is that this is a typical bad swing day.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject:

So anyway...here is mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX96nYYkMHQ

This drive was taken quite a few weeks ago. In fact, a little backstory behind the shot. I had been slicing like crazy, and I had reached the point of frustration. I decided "I'm going to post my shot and get some feedback once and for all". Well...I don't know what happened, but I set up my camera, stepped up to the ball, and all of my problems seemed to be solved. I hit this shot 245 yards with my old regular flex shaft (I now shoot a stiff flex), it went straight as an arrow, and I've been hitting it with either a slight draw or a slight fade ever since.

This swing is a little outside in, but I have discovered since then how to keep my swing from doing that. I'm still reaching for the ball a little bit on this swing, but the one thing that I think I do a bit differently than most is that I start my swing by hinging my wrists. I feel that the best way for me is to create a backswing in a certain order, and then unravel that order in order to create the forward swing. I start with wrists, then waist, then shoulders, and then as my shoulders are reaching their peak, I'm already starting my waist forward. I feel that this order reminds me to keep that tempo, and the tempo reminds me when everything is supposed to happen. By hinging my wrists right away, it helps me to remember to keep them hinged until the very last second. When I start hitting my driver poorly, I always go back to this aspect of the swing and it always seems to help. Why? Because 95% of my mishits with my driver are caused by me not releasing at the right time. If I'm not releasing at the right time, then something is wrong with my tempo.

A couple of things I'd like to point out on Chris's swing. First of all, it is kind of a flat swing. I don't know how you hit it like that. But if it's going 300 yards and straight, who am I to critique? I also notice that your backswing is on a different plane than your forward swing. Is this by design? Also...your feet. Is your left foot slightly forward in relation to your right foot? It looks that way on the back view. The reason I ask is because I've started to do that...just an inch...in order to promote an inside-out swing, and it is working very well.

At any rate, what I'd like to point out first is how Chris's arms are tight to his body. On my swing, I'm still reaching for the ball a little bit, and I'm still working on addressing that issue. Sometimes I forget. And when I forget, it slices. Or I toe it. Or I get way under it. Or lots of bad things happen. Also, on Chris's backswing (and on mine as well), you can see how he turns his waist away from the target on his backswing to generate power. There really isn't much arm action at all. It's all shoulders and waist. Now, the thing I like best about Chris's swing is how he starts his forward swing with his waist while he is still bringing his club back. It's like a slingshot. You can see this best on the side view, and since I don't have a side view of mine, you can't see it on mine. However, what I see on his swing is an impeccable tempo, and that is what defines all swings.

Now the most important thing I'd like to point out is that awesome color orange. I'm a huge fan of the color orage, and I feel it adds a good 2-3 yards onto my drive.

birdieXris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject:

yea John, that's how my swing has always been. Try as i might i just can't get my hands high like everyone else's. Works for me though. None of the coaches i went to have any problem with it and the replies are always carbon copies "you know you're just a little flat at the top, but christ, you hit it a mile so i don't see a problem with it." HAHA. It also looks exaggerated in the front view because the camera was so low. It's not really THAT flat as you can see from the back view. The two plane thing was something weird happening yesterday. I'm going to re-film my swing on a better day. I just promised reds that i'd do it. I wasn't talking planes so i figured it would work out.

Maybe i'll get Lisa to look at it tomorrow and see if there's something i can do about the flatness of it. But like you said, it's working so why fix it right now?

greendevil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject:

Hey birdiexris, I love your swing; it's so smooth and in tempo. Looks so much better than mine even if you feel it is flatter than it should be for me. And how in the world can you hit 300 yard drives with that easy and smooth swing? That's amazing.

After looking at your video, I now realize that I have to work on tempo too (so many things to work on); for my swing is no where near as smooth or in time compared to yours.

I think my practice swings are usually pretty good, as far as tempo goes, but when I go to swing, I just feel uncomfortable (and nervous), that I just don't put a good swing on the ball.

Now I have a good idea of where the ball should be placed off my left foot and am going to start this my next time out; I hope it helps.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Golf Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: