Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Average distance poll: really?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

birdieXris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject:

bkuehn1952 wrote:
From the Wall Street Journal:

On no subject are golfers, especially male golfers, more deluded than on the distance they hit their drives, with the possible exception of their attractiveness to beverage-cart personnel. Here are the brutal facts, accumulated by Dave Pelz over several years of monitoring thousands of players at amateur tournaments. He used the same ShotLink equipment used by the PGA Tour to determine that, in 2011, the world's best players averaged 291 yards off the tee. Male amateurs who play to a 30 handicap average drives of 166 yards; 20-handicappers average 183 yards; 10-handicappers average 214 yards; scratch amateurs average 235 yards.

Admittedly, players within a handicap range may very well hit the ball above the average distance. In order to have an average there typically are numbers both higher and lower. Still, it does tend to support those who feel driving distances are often over stated.

It's crazy how many people overstate their drives, but to what purpose. I mean, it's onething in the bar but seriously... you're gonna get found out. for real. after like --- the third hole.
Werepuppie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject:

birdieXris wrote:
bkuehn1952 wrote:
From the Wall Street Journal:

On no subject are golfers, especially male golfers, more deluded than on the distance they hit their drives, with the possible exception of their attractiveness to beverage-cart personnel. Here are the brutal facts, accumulated by Dave Pelz over several years of monitoring thousands of players at amateur tournaments. He used the same ShotLink equipment used by the PGA Tour to determine that, in 2011, the world's best players averaged 291 yards off the tee. Male amateurs who play to a 30 handicap average drives of 166 yards; 20-handicappers average 183 yards; 10-handicappers average 214 yards; scratch amateurs average 235 yards.

Admittedly, players within a handicap range may very well hit the ball above the average distance. In order to have an average there typically are numbers both higher and lower. Still, it does tend to support those who feel driving distances are often over stated.

It's crazy how many people overstate their drives, but to what purpose. I mean, it's onething in the bar but seriously... you're gonna get found out. for real. after like --- the third hole.

All of which proves that most golfers should play the forward tees.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject:

KVSmith59 wrote:

My thinking is that if you are over a 12 handicap and hit the ball 300 yards every few rounds then the driver is pretty much the only club you can hit well.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

KVSmith59

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Bryan K wrote:
KVSmith59 wrote:

My thinking is that if you are over a 12 handicap and hit the ball 300 yards every few rounds then the driver is pretty much the only club you can hit well.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

lol.

guzzlingil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I am a 12/13 hdcp...and if I hit my drives 300 yards....I'd be a 4 or less.....

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject:

The fatal flaw in my game is that I can't hit a green with a full swing to save my life. If I'm 90+ out, I'm at least two strokes from getting on the green. That's where the bogey handicap comes into play (I'm 17 and some change right now).

Add to that the fact that I'm an average, at best, scrambler. I'm a decent chipper and a decent putter. At best. The best part of my game, by far, is my drive. And I get a little bit pissed when people say that there's no way I can hit the ball that far and still be a 17 handicap. I don't really care how far I hit the ball. I'd rather be in the fairway, and most of all, I'd rather be able to stick my approaches.

I just get pissed at being called a liar.

gpickin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I have always hit it longer than most, but my occasional duff shots hurt my average, but I would have given up my LENGTH for accuracy.

I would always outhit almost everyone in my group, but i would also score the big numbers, because I sucked... and I still do, really.

I am hitting it more accurately now, and my irons are better and that is what is helping my scoring. My big drives are always followed by a FAT shot that falls way short of the green.

When you dont play much, you pretty much only drive at the range... you never use other clubs
So it would be my best club.

The GPS helped me get an better idea of my actual distance, since it seems most PEGS in the fairway are 20 yards off... but i dont know what the big deal is.

If people think they can or actually can hit it 250 or 350, whether its true or not, big deal.

I would wish for a better short game than those 20 yards I have on most players.

I can make up for a drive

I can't make up for 2 shocking pitches around the green.
When you 2 pitch and 3 putt, you bogey EVERY hole

I wouldn't worry about how far people drive it.
I'd rather flag it than stripe it anyday.

gpickin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Bryan K wrote:
The fatal flaw in my game is that I can't hit a green with a full swing to save my life. If I'm 90+ out, I'm at least two strokes from getting on the green. That's where the bogey handicap comes into play (I'm 17 and some change right now).

Add to that the fact that I'm an average, at best, scrambler. I'm a decent chipper and a decent putter. At best. The best part of my game, by far, is my drive. And I get a little bit pissed when people say that there's no way I can hit the ball that far and still be a 17 handicap. I don't really care how far I hit the ball. I'd rather be in the fairway, and most of all, I'd rather be able to stick my approaches.

Amen, I didn't want to say it, but I feel the same.
I hit it far, wow, but I am more likely to hit the green from 140 out as I am 80 out, hell 20 out.

I'm an 17 handicapper too, and even with my duff 150 yard drive I still averaged 250 my last time out. Smile

Yeah, if you look at my last scorecard i didn't record that because I want my average drive to be a number i can count on when i stand on the tee.
But my real average, including duff, was 251.

Some short some long, because of weird winds etc.

My brother is a 22 capper, and probably hit it just as far as me. And 1 year ago, we were both 36 cappers, and we weren't much shorter than we are now.

If the math is right, when I am scratch, I must hit it 500 yards right... no wonder i'll never be a scratch golfer Smile

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject:

The best round I've ever hit my driver is here:

http://oobgolf.com/golfers/score.php?id=1728969

I had three penalty strokes on that round, and not a single one was with my driver. I shot a 93 that day. Every single drive was 270+ and in great shape.

And then you have a round like this:

http://oobgolf.com/golfers/score.php?id=1728969

I was hitting my driver a ton, but I was getting some bad bouncees. Eight penalty strokes. Only one of them was by more than a couple of feet. Every single drive was 250+. I wanted to keep it in the bag after the front nine, but the bloke I was playing with said "no WAY I'd keep my driver in the bag if I was hitting it THAT well." Final score was a 103.

And then there is this round:

http://oobgolf.com/golfers/score.php?id=1757197

THis is the round where I was bombing my shots on the driving range over the range before the round started. That's 250+.

On the actual round, the guy we were golfing with said after every drive: "You're going to love that one". Two dribbled past the white stakes and a third dribbled underneat the only tree on the entire friggin course that is in a fairway that my playing partner (who plays the course regularly) didn't think that would ever be reachable in a million years. Seven penalty trokes later (three for stroke and distance), I carded a 104.

My best round ever?

http://oobgolf.com/golfers/score.php?id=1367847

Hit my driver horrlby that day. I think my longest drive went 220, and I was averaging under 200.

KVSmith59

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject:

gpickin wrote:
Bryan K wrote:

Amen, I didn't want to say it, but I feel the same.
golfer Smile

I don't think anyone was calling you a liar, but that most people overestimate their distance off the tee, and most people that are 15 and above handicappers do not hit the driver, on average, 250+. You are apparently the exception.

As with another poster, if I could average 250 a drive, my handicap would be considerably better as that's at least 2 club lengths shorter on my approach shot. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even bother breaking out the driver on the driving range. If your average par 4 is 400 yards, I'd be concentrating purely on my 150 yard clubs and lower....

Duke of Hazards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject:

I read that article in WSJ too.... the numbers didn't look quite right. I find it hard to believe that all of those recorded shots were with the Driver, or at least on true 'driving' holes. I agree with the gist of the article, i.e. - that many golfers overstate their driving distance, but cannot believe that the average drive for a 10-hcp is 214, no way.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject:

KVSmith59 wrote:

As with another poster, if I could average 250 a drive, my handicap would be considerably better as that's at least 2 club lengths shorter on my approach shot. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even bother breaking out the driver on the driving range. If your average par 4 is 400 yards, I'd be concentrating purely on my 150 yard clubs and lower....

I do.

I didn't "work" on my driver at all last summer. I just hit it a handful of times on the range to warm up. When I'm on the range, the vast majority of my shots are with my irons, depending on what I'd been struggling with.
bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Duke of Hazards wrote:
I read that article in WSJ too.... the numbers didn't look quite right. I find it hard to believe that all of those recorded shots were with the Driver, or at least on true 'driving' holes. I agree with the gist of the article, i.e. - that many golfers overstate their driving distance, but cannot believe that the average drive for a 10-hcp is 214, no way.

I was somewhat surprised by the relatively short distances too. Of course these are averages so for every 188 yard average there was a 240. And I suspect Pelz calculated a true average and counted pop-ups and worm burners. As another Oober stated, when one discusses the length of your "average" drive, most of us will state a distance that we think an "average good drive" will travel. Most of us tend to not worry about the occassional outlier drive and think more about what we expect when we are playing reasonably well.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject:

I also wanted to add that the only reason why I spend any time at all on the range with my driver before a round starts is that I know I can't recover from a bad drive. The amateur scratch golfer I played with last fall told me that he really doesn't care about his drive. He has enough control over it so that at most, a bad drive will cost him one stroke. And he lived up to his boast, too. He was hitting his driver horribly that day. But dispite the fact that he didn't hit any fairways on the back nine and hit two of his drives into groves of trees that needed escape shots, he shot under par on the back nine. (he shot a f*cking 31 to be exact, the asshole). When I hit into trees, I might need 2-3 strokes to get back to the fairway.

KVSmith59

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject:

it used to take me a couple of shots to get out of the trees. I finally sucked it up and if the only clear opening was to hit behind me and back towards the tee box, I'll do it. It's been saving me a few strokes doing that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: