Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Putting Strokes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

JDriem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Putting Strokes?

I was wondering what I should count towards my putting average. Most of the time when im just off the green where most people would chip I like to putt because I am horrible at chipping. Should I be counting those strokes as putts? or only count the putts from the green towards my putting average. As of now im counting the putts I take off the green towards my average. Thanks.

srogers13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I count my putts like the pro tour does, number of strokes I take after I land on the green. If I miss the green, and putt from the fringe, I do not count it. But if I am on the green, then putt off of the green, and chip back on, I count that as a putt. Maybe that makes sense.

JDriem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Thats what I thought I should have been doing but wasn't sure. I'll start doing that.

jev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject:

It depends on what you want to use the stats for. If you don't count off-green putting strokes as a putt, what would you count them as? It sure is not a chip either! If you want the stats to provide a valid insight into your short game I guess there's no alternative to counting them as putts, no matter what the tour pro's do. Especially when you realise we, mere mortals, play a lot more putts from the fringe than those pro's do!

srogers13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject:

But if count the shot from off the green as a putt, it messes up you GIR stats.

Duke of Hazards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject:

i was counting fringe putts as putts until I just got too disgusted with my putting 'stats'. now I'm counting them as chips to make myself feel better.

voila! my putting averages are much improved!

now, about this 2-chipping problem....

jev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject:

srogers13 wrote:
But if count the shot from off the green as a putt, it messes up you GIR stats.

So, what's more important to you? Once your handicap dips below 24 or so, you most probably loose shots around the green, not on the long stretch.

Again, what do you keep stats for? Bragging rights or do you actually use them to find out where you (should) improve?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: