Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Pre-Round Routines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Pre-Round Routines

My pre-round routine amounts to almost nothing and I wonder if this is holding me back from reaching my highest potential as a golfer. Not that I'm going to lose any sleep over it--there's maybe a thousand things in life that might hold me back, but hey, I have a life to live and golf is after all just a hobby.

Here's my situation. It costs me a lot of time just to get to the course. That means that by the time I get there I am itching to get the stupid thing started already. Besides there are no practice ranges at any NYC courses. Up til last year there wasn't even a practice green. But even now that its up and running I hardly use it. It's all hilly and weirdly sloped and doesn't even "stimp" like the course greens so why bother?

I don't really stretch either. I might do some toe touches or else try to work out some specific stiffness I might have that day but in general I'm good to go. Stretching is overrated IMO. What I will do though is take two long irons and swing them together to loosen up the old shoulder turn.

If this all comes off as cavalier, well yeah, it probably is. Playing golf without the benefit of the usual amenities, going straight from the street to the first tee and managing to shoot a respectable score is something I have grown to take pride in. (Whereas I used to lament it.) Within the overall universe of golf my game is not all that great but considering what I have to work with I believe its not too shabby either. That's my take, kinda weird, and I realize my post is more about what I *don't* do before each round but I would like to hear about how some normal golf people go about preparing to tee it up.
joe jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Routines

I usually bum 3 or 4 balls from my buddies bucket and hit my driver.It accomplishes two things. It stretches all of the muscles and cartilage that have atrophied over night but it doesn't waste any energy that can be used during the round. Some of you younger guys will be saying "what?) but some of my elder brethren will understand what I am saying.

mjaber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I don't usually do much. If I haven't been to the range in a while (more than a week), I'll try to get there before the round, assuming there is a driving range at the course.

Other than that, I'll stretch a little, swing a club or 2, make sure I have everything I need, and go to it.
bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject:

My pre-round routine mostly resembles the beef's. I try to arrive early, when I have a set tee time, and do some putting (and chipping if allowed). Many of the courses I frequent do not have a range so even if I was inclined to beat balls, I rarely do.

My stretching/warm up is limited to some light stretches (like touching the toes) and a few shoulder/back twists. If for some reason I am tight, I might do a little more limbering up but I do not have a routine I follow regularly. I will swing a club a few times and then it is go time.

Many times I do not have a tee time and I have to hustle to join a group already on the tee (or alternately, run to the 1st tee to get off before the "Retired Insurance Execs Who Can't Play Golf" tee off). In those instances, I may not even have my shoes tied before teeing off. Wink

guzzlingil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Usually about 4 beers...

2-3 swings each with the driver, 7I and PW.
jfurr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Kinds of depends on the mental attitude at the time.

Sometimes just go right to the tee take one stretch and one practice swing and go, other times get into the whole 1/2 hour range warm up, hit a little of everything, get the feel of the swing for the day, then go and work on chipping and putting a while, etc.

Honestly not sure it makes any difference statistically on the scores, but like I said sometimes I feel the need to prepare with a bunch of pre-round work, other times just show up and wing it.

If it's a big round or tournament, sometimes the prep work starts the day before -- looking over my prior rounds on oob at the course or if its a new course looking over the satellite images online of the hole layout. Nerdy, I know...
Werepuppie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Just a few practice putts.Then I tee it up.

jrbizzle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject:

The course I play most of my golf at has a range and practice green near the first tee. If I get there early, I try to warm up a bit, but if I'm pressed for time, i find the following helpful.

Take 8 balls to the practice green, and drop 4 of them just off the fringe. Try to chip one (crisply) about 10 feet, then the next one 20, then 30, then 40.

Then put the next four balls on the green and putt them close to the first four, in reverse order. Just a quick three minute drill to enhance feel.

jev

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject:

I always try to be on the course 30 minutes before my scheduled teetime. A bit of light stretching and a bucket of balls on the driving range: 4 balls 9 iron, 7 iron, 5 iron, 3-wood, driver. Than a couple of balls pitchds and chips. If I'm early, I do some more putting on the practice green.

Maybe it doesn't really help the game, but it sure makes a difference with my back and the usual stifness the evening after...
DougE

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject:

Oh man, there's not enough space here to describe my pre-round prep here. I could write a full Oob guest column article about it. Suffice it to say, I like to have an hour and a half minimum, before teeing off to go through my long process. I don't always have that much time, so then I do an abbreviated version, but rarely do I ever step out of the car and onto the first tee.

I actually start my warm up at home/work before I leave for the course with a full stretching session that really loosens me up, which a physical therapist helped me design. Since it requires laying on the ground, it's not something I want to do at the course. I even have a good way of stretching my shoulders while driving to the course. And, I put my seat warmers on in the car to heat up my back.

I then have a whole chipping and putting routine that starts with getting the speed of the greens down by putting and chipping from one side of the green to the other, trying to reach, but not go into the fringe. Then I chip to holes from various slopes, lies, distances and grass lengths. Then some putting drills. After that, I go get a bucket of balls and start with partial shot wedges at targets, then maybe a couple 9 irons, 7 irons, and hybrids. Then 4 or 5 good driver swings. Finally, I visualize the first few holes, and play them virtually, one shot at a time. I visualize the fairway, and hit my driver. Depending on where it lands relative to my virtual target, I play my second shot accordingly with the iron I will likely need. If I feel that my approach would have missed the green, I then chip my next to a target, 10 or 15 yards out. The only thing I don't do is putt here. I play the first three or four holes in my mind on the range.

The process works for me and is much more involved than detailed here. Basically it's about the exact opposite of Beef's approach. But hey, whatever works for you, right?

Matt F

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject:

Tie my shoes, get out a couple of balls, tees, coin for ball marker and pitch repair tool, swing my driver a few times and twist left and right to get out the kinks.

That's it.

Jbeck

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject:

Last night the warm up was putting on my shoes. If I am playing a tourn. or a match I hit the range for 30 min where I hit mostly wedges, hit the practice bunker for a few sand shots. hit the green and work on pace, also put a string up between two pencils and work on hitting a straight putt hearing it drop in the hole instead of seeing it. then off to the first tee.

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject:

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Many times I do not have a tee time and I have to hustle to join a group already on the tee (or alternately, run to the 1st tee to get off before the "Retired Insurance Execs Who Can't Play Golf" tee off). In those instances, I may not even have my shoes tied before teeing off. Wink

I know the first tee scramble all too well. I have teed off in street shoes before in order to avoid certain situations. Rushing to get off is a horrible idea but sometimes the lesser of two evils.

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject:

DougE wrote:
The process works for me and is much more involved than detailed here. Basically it's about the exact opposite of Beef's approach. But hey, whatever works for you, right?

This is kind of the heart of what I'm getting at. How well does it actually work for me is what I wonder. I mean I would like to do more like you but the circumstances don't really afford it right now. Someday I will move out of the city, hopefully near a golf course and then maybe I'll be able to put some proper prep into my round. Do you find that your scores suffer when you aren't able to do your routine, or is it something you just enjoy doing regardless?
stanleyb

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Really good topic...

Since I've picked up the game again about 4 years ago I've noticed my game suffers if I don't do some type of warm-up. Now, that being said my age is starting to make me realize I can't just "lace 'em up and go" like I used to. I'm 53 and really enjoy this goofy game and would like to get much better. For a good golf outing I like to get to the course about an hour before tee time to get to the range, if they have one. After stretching for a few minutes I take my 7i and hit about 8-10 balls, focusing on the basics(?). Then I hit my driver 8-10 times, AW the same, then finish with my wedges. As we wait for the rest of the crew we go to the putting green and drop 4 balls in a line...starting close and working out. The perfect world...

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: