Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Practice and golf rounds...how much in the week?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

stanleyb

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Practice and golf rounds...how much in the week?

Hey folks,

Home sick today and just getting into the site...really enjoy it. So, here's my question to everyone. How often do you get out during an average week to hit? Once again, "in a perfect world" I'd love to get to the range twice a week and then play 9 twice a week with an 18 round during the weekend. At our local town course I am able to get 9 in with a cart very quickly, so it's do-able. Today stinks since I was planning to get out, but the flu bug changes that rather quickly. Just curious as to what other folks do.

Brian

bkuehn1952

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject:

I like playing golf. I do not like practicing golf unless I am unable to play. So in a perfect world I have no other committments and could play 4-5 times a week. I tend to hit range balls only when faced with a prolonged slump or if the in-laws are coming over and I only have time to hit some balls. When I do practice, I spend more time on the short game than pounding range balls.

Jbeck

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject:

I just put an area in my yard that I can hit irons to. I can hit from 110 to 160 yards. I like to play 18 twice a week if possible. Work on the irons some every day if not raining. Do short game work while working in the yard, 10 yards to 50 yards. I need a putting green but it's a little out of the budget right now. LOL

Bryan K

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:

Every day when the weather is nice enough, I'm out there doing something. If I don't have time to play a round, I'll spend a half hour putting or chipping or hitting range balls or blasting out of the bunker.
Dusty23

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Reality for me is getting to play 18 once a week and maybe if I'm lucky some sort of practice 1 or 2 hours a week. I would love to play and practice more, but life has a way of getting in the way.

falcon50driver

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Golf is a stupid game, I'd quit playing altogether if I wasn't married.
DougE

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject:

I have made golf as important in my life as my business and my marriage (though my wife hasn't tested that yet). I work full time, but have some flexibility in my schedule since I own the business. In season, I play usually 3-4 times a week and have 2 or 3 dedicated practice sessions, with a purpose, each week as well. Most of my practice sessions are around the green, working on chips and pitches from all sorts of lies. I like putting practice the least, but I do it a lot. My putting is pretty good these days. I hit some balls virtually every day. Maybe only 20, sometimes 200, but some every day, 365 days of the year, just to keep my muscle memory as fresh as possible. Living here in the Northeast, this past mild winter made it easy to stay sharp. That's not typically the case here. Normally, at this time of year, I might be approaching 15 rounds for the year, but this year, on May 2, I expect to be playing my 40th round later today. Hoping to get in 110 rounds this year, God willing.
joe jones

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: J Beck

Wow..That must be some back yard. Give us some idea of the size of your property so we can all drool. Sounds great!

Jbeck

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: J Beck

joe jones wrote:
Wow..That must be some back yard. Give us some idea of the size of your property so we can all drool. Sounds great!

I have 60 acres, I have a 2 acre yard and a 5 acre field beside the house. Most of my property is mountain so i don't have the ability to turn it into a course LOL but I'm trying
joe jones

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: back yard

I hope you don,t have to mow much of it. Have fun.

falcon50driver

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm seriously considering installing a green at each end of my L shaped front yard, I could tee off to the West as a par 5 then a hundred yards later, tee off a second ball as a par 4, then move on down toward the green and have a third tee box for a par 3. Theoretically it would take 12 shots to corral the 3 balls to the hole. It might be a boring course, but you could then play the three balls back the other way to the green on the East end. I've been mowing the grass tighter and tighter for the last 7 years, it almost looks like a golf course now, just need some bunkers.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject:

merlin3driver wrote:
I'm seriously considering installing a green at each end of my L shaped front yard, I could tee off to the West as a par 5 then a hundred yards later, tee off a second ball as a par 4, then move on down toward the green and have a third tee box for a par 3. Theoretically it would take 12 shots to corral the 3 balls to the hole. It might be a boring course, but you could then play the three balls back the other way to the green on the East end. I've been mowing the grass tighter and tighter for the last 7 years, it almost looks like a golf course now, just need some bunkers.

How big is your yard?

I´d do it if I was you....

falcon50driver

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Bryan, I measured the clearing on google earth. It looks like 80 yards wide for 375 yards and then turns right for another 155 yards. It would be just barely enough for a par 5. Anything hit into the woods would be lost forever. Even the rabbits get lost.

Bryan K

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject:

merlin3driver wrote:
Bryan, I measured the clearing on google earth. It looks like 80 yards wide for 375 yards and then turns right for another 155 yards. It would be just barely enough for a par 5. Anything hit into the woods would be lost forever. Even the rabbits get lost.

Sweet. I'd make three greens...one at each end and one in the middle. That way, you can have two par 4's (one playing each way down the long leg), two par 3's (one playing each way down the short leg), and two par 5's (playing each way down the whole thing). That's 2/3 of a front nine!

falcon50driver

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing that creating / maintaining a golf green is pretty intense, (costly), Maybe an artificial green would make more sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: